Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short, truck 2003 F350 7.3 (Build date of 08/02) im second owner as of 2011, truck came from "new york"

i got my new TS 6 position in the mail to day, went to install it and the PCM codes on the card don't match the PCM, called TS performance and they told me my truck is California Emissions and the chip i have won't work. now i have to hope the company i ordered it from will reprogram it for me, especially because they only asked for the Year make and Model and trans type, nothing about california. other wise i have to send it to TS and pay an additional $100 onto of the $194 i paid for it..... Im in florida BTW

question is how Sh*ty is this 7.3L being that is it California emissions. AND,,, what would actually happen if i put this chip on it, truck won't run?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don’t think there are many differences in the Cali 7.3 vs the non Cali ones. One difference I know of is the glow plug system is more like a 6.0 style system on the California models to help “reduce emissions when starting and running in cold weather.” It’s slightly more advanced, it doesn’t use an old fashioned relay like most 7.3s. Another difference I believe are what codes will trigger a CEL. For instance, I have the IAH and EBPV deleted on my truck. I have soft codes for these. That means that the codes show up on a scanner but do not trigger a CEL. I believe these things will cause a CEL in a Cali truck

Injectors/hpop/turbo, all the stuff like that is the same. I think it would work fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the ebpv delets on my truck 2 years and never got a CEL, soft codes in the begining but the diode in the ebpv plug fixed that. Thats why i was asking. Unless the fuel map or the way the PCM codeing is written to control/comunicate with the motor i dont see how it would be different. I had a bully dog gt on it and i didnt do anything special, just pluged it in and installed the tunes.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
long story short, truck 2003 F350 7.3 (Build date of 08/02) im second owner as of 2011, truck came from "new york"

i got my new TS 6 position in the mail to day, went to install it and the PCM codes on the card don't match the PCM, called TS performance and they told me my truck is California Emissions and the chip i have won't work. now i have to hope the company i ordered it from will reprogram it for me, especially because they only asked for the Year make and Model and trans type, nothing about california. other wise i have to send it to TS and pay an additional $100 onto of the $194 i paid for it..... Im in florida BTW

question is how Sh*ty is this 7.3L being that is it California emissions. AND,,, what would actually happen if i put this chip on it, truck won't run?
I don’t think there are many differences in the Cali 7.3 vs the non Cali ones. One difference I know of is the glow plug system is more like a 6.0 style system on the California models to help “reduce emissions when starting and running in cold weather.” It’s slightly more advanced, it doesn’t use an old fashioned relay like most 7.3s. Another difference I believe are what codes will trigger a CEL. For instance, I have the IAH and EBPV deleted on my truck. I have soft codes for these. That means that the codes show up on a scanner but do not trigger a CEL. I believe these things will cause a CEL in a Cali truck

Injectors/hpop/turbo, all the stuff like that is the same. I think it would work fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are differences in the programming. There are Cali cold weather programming, 50 state cold weather programming and different paramters for each. (various other calibrations for 50 state and cali too. I have a pdf of the various hax code/calibrations and its beyond long. There are actually three types of glow plug systems for the 99-03 7.3L too.

federal-just glow plug relay and 8 glow plugs
Cali-A- glow plug relay with shunt and 4 extra wires like mine so the pcm can fault code which bank the bad glow plug is on. (limited to certain cali build 1999 pickups). I went through a long debacle with my system couple months ago and learned why
Cali-B- glow plug control module similar to excursion and newer powerstroke generations. very finiky and expensive.

running the wrong calibration wont activate glow plugs correctly. Also running the wrong code will cause the truck to stall and possibly shut off requiring a restart when trying to change tunes. very7 dangerous if changing on the fly on the road etc. The company should reburn the chip or send you a new one.

·
Hate stupid people
8,521 Posts
or search around here for tuners who will re-burn the chip for you and you'll get "custom" tunes instead of the canned tunes you could get.

Tony Wildman
Gearhead
Unlimited Diesel
etc

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was able to get in contact with the seller. They are going to reprogram it for me for free being that i didnt know and they didnt think to ask due to the fact that i provided them with a florida address. Guess its just one of those things. Thanks guys for the responces. Next question is do the california trucks make less power then the non cali trucks. Also my truck does not have a cat, the exhaust is factory exlcuding the muffler delet pipe i put in.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I was able to get in contact with the seller. They are going to reprogram it for me for free being that i didnt know and they didnt think to ask due to the fact that i provided them with a florida address. Guess its just one of those things. Thanks guys for the responces. Next question is do the california trucks make less power then the non cali trucks. Also my truck does not have a cat, the exhaust is factory exlcuding the muffler delet pipe i put in.
not really. The early 99s had a slightly different engine with different turbo/high pressure oil pump etc but wasn't worth upgrading parts to a late 99-2003 to be honest. The CA and Fed models are nearly identical power wise until you do mods etc. I run a CA model truck that like yours did not come with a CAT and removed the muffler for a diy straight pipe etc.

Common upgrades include:
gauges-edge insight is second to none in monitoring and features, then you have the tradititon three pillar gauge set up, and the scanguage etc.
intake-6637 kit from riffraff diesel, S&B Kit another great option
turbo- wicked wheel 2 turbo wheel from riffraff
tuning-most choose hydra but since you're getting the reburn for free keep the ts 6 pos chip.
supporting mods: if you tow a lot the 6.0l trans cooler or true cool 40k kit (both yield same results, reducing trans temp 25+ degrees), modified valvebody from john woods, bts etc... I got mine from john woods and its best to swap it out before tuner so you can get tuning dialed in etc.

There are more mods but when you get into bigger injectors/turbo it gets pretty pricey and requires more supporting mods.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This truck is my daily driver. I have a 2019 6.7 for my towing. I bought the TS to upgrade from the bully dog gt ive been running. The truck has been getting only 6-7 mpg im having to fill up every 4 days. I uninstalled the bully dog in prep for the TS and must say it runs alot better now with out it. I have a new fuel pump, a beans diesel sump, new cold air intake and waiting on the TS to come back. I already did the epbv pedistool delet, and the ebpv turbo housing delet, along with new bellowed up pipes and the riffraff turbo wheel. Hopefully these parts will regain the mpgs. Im not planning to do any serious mods to the truck. This is it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts