Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in my TS chip today and I am now gettin' a "Service Engine Soon" light that comes on. I put in my code reader and it says there are no codes. Has anybody else had this issue? It seems to run fine though, no problems at all. The light only comes on after I start it and drive it for a minute, but when you shut it off and turn it back on, the light doesn't come on until you drive it for a few min. Let me know if this is something I should be worried about or if it is just the nature of the beast...Thanks in advance! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
You should not have a check engine light unless something is wrong, it may blink or come on at full throttle during a very hard run on the higher settings if you are over boosting and don’t have a map sensor fooler or if the ICP or EBP isn’t happy. What kinda code reader you using? If the light is coming on then there should be codes stored. Some code readers cannot properly read powerstrokes, they are slightly different than normal OBDII gassers.

·
Registered
738 Posts
just driving around there should be no check engine light coming on. Get on it hard for a few, and it will come one for a few minutes from overboost. I would think if it were a contact issue with the chip that the light would come on right when you try to start the truck, so thats probably not it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to check it out w/ another code reader, ya it only comes on after I drive it down the road for a bit, its on constantly. I'll check it out later, maybe w/ my dads superchip programmer, it should be able to pull the code. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should not have a check engine light unless something is wrong, it may blink or come on at full throttle during a very hard run on the higher settings if you are over boosting and don’t have a map sensor fooler or if the ICP or EBP isn’t happy. What kinda code reader you using? If the light is coming on then there should be codes stored. Some code readers cannot properly read powerstrokes, they are slightly different than normal OBDII gassers.
If this was caused by an over boost, would the light stay on constantly or would it just blink? Because it does seem like when I really get on it in a higher setting, it loses power for a second, then it kicks back in...

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
If this was caused by an over boost, would the light stay on constantly or would it just blink? Because it does seem like when I really get on it in a higher setting, it loses power for a second, then it kicks back in...
I didn’t word that very clearly, IF it were over boost it would only come on during a hard run and may blink or stay on for a few seconds then go back off. If it is staying on all the time then it is probably some other issue like chip contacts or an actual engine problem. A good scan will tell you if it is a real problem. First thing to do would be to remove the chip and see what it does then reinstall the chip after making sure both sides of the computer board contacts are clean. If the light still keeps coming on then go get a good scan for codes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn’t word that very clearly, IF it were over boost it would only come on during a hard run and may blink or stay on for a few seconds then go back off. If it is staying on all the time then it is probably some other issue like chip contacts or an actual engine problem. A good scan will tell you if it is a real problem. First thing to do would be to remove the chip and see what it does then reinstall the chip after making sure both sides of the computer board contacts are clean. If the light still keeps coming on then go get a good scan for codes.
Alright, I'll try that first, I tried once again to pull the codes it still read "No DTC's stored", I couldn't get the Superchips programmer to work for me...Is it possible that I cleaned them too much as said above? If so am I screwed and have to get a new computer? But the truck runs awesome! There is no issues at all, but I am just worried by this SES light...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem. I just installed my ts performance chip and when I get on it the service engine light comes on, but after I little while of just driving normal it goes away. Did you figure out what the problem was?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hi I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem. I just installed my ts performance chip and when I get on it the service engine light comes on, but after I little while of just driving normal it goes away. Did you figure out what the problem was?

Over boost, icp higher/lower than desired. One of those two is 99% chance the reason your light is coming on. If there were another problem it would stay on.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
if its p1211 icp above/below desired a overboost regulator wont fix it.

if its overboost which I think is p0603 you need a boost fooler. riffraff has a nice boost fooler.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mine kept giving me the 1211. I would clear it then a couple days or hours later it would come back. Researched it and its fairly common. I got tired of clearing it so I just leave it and check now and then to see if that's all there is. You could have it reprogrammed to fix that. I'm ok with it as new injectors are probably a year or two away......if not sooner, single shots that is.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
montstroke p1211 is a oil pressure code usually related to the hpop. if fuel pressure is really low it can throw it as well.

but since single shots use less oil it might not throw the code if you go that route.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.