Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 f350. 6637 air filter, 4" turbo back exhaust, trans cooler and thTs about it for mods. I've had the turbo pipes exhaust manifolds and both cylinder heads replaced. Anyways I have my 6 position chip. I'm itching to put it in at least to just try it for a bit. But I have a concern. I have no gauges. And I see everyone saying gauges are absolute must if I'm running this chip. My question is this. I tow about 6-8klbs everyday. Usually around town. Occasionally on the highway. If I run the chip at the 50/75HP setting, are my EGT's really going to spoke up that much? And also what is the dangerous point or max EGT's before something goes wrong? If having the gauges is a must does that mean my EGT's are going to skyrocket when pulling up hill and I'm gonna have to pull over or something? I know it's good to monitor all the different functions of the truck to prevent failure. But does having this chip really increase your chances catastrophic failure to my motor or tranny ??

Please any experiences with this chip good or bad needed.

I kinda want to just put it in and drove around no trailer for a bit then maybe just keep it on stock or 50hp while towing, until I get gauges

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd put your chip money towards gauges first. What if your ebpv valve got stuck closed or something and you put it in the extreme setting, you'd never know until you melt a piston, and I believe a piston will melt at about 1300*, so staying under that is fine, you can go over as long as it's only for a couple seconds. Plus Ts tunes aren't the best, you can get a php hydra for 350 or a ts chip tuned by tony Wildman for 300 I think, much better.
Edit: woops saw you already bought it, I'd still do gauges first, just my opinion

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Gauges first before putting the chip in. Every truck is different so knowing what your egts are is only possible with gauges. If egts spike than you'll need to back out of the throttle to cool it off a little. Even stock gauges are good to have if you tow a lot, which you do. Adding power only increases the chance of something going wrong. Keeping it under 1300 is fine, anything over that for extended periods runs the risk of damaging something. My truck had a chip with no gauges when I bought it and I put gauges in within a week, I could hit 1400 getting on it due to leaky up pipes. I wasn't concerned that he did any damage running no gauges after talking to him a couple times. He was paranoid about it idling in a hot tune lol. But yes you need gauges first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have the stock ts chip and I have to fix a bad connection on my up pipes and I'm going go gut the EBV valve and rebuild my turbo with the full kit 360 thrust bearing with anti surge wheel and pedestal. I'm definitely getting gauges. I'm having a hard time stomaching buying gauges for $350-500 when glow shift has the 3 set with pillar for $200. Even though it is the cheaper option. I bought the truck used dirt cheap with a nice plow. Had compression issues. Replaced all turbo and exhaust pipes and manifolds as well as the heads and so much more stuff. I'm in the truck over 20k. I just want to put the chip in and try out the 50-75hp settings and then leave it in stock position til I get my gauges

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I'm trying to figure out is anyone running this chip in a similar setting will my EGT's spoke to 1300+ in the regular 50-75hp settings pulling weight. I put my hand up to my exhaust today at idle and it wasn't very hot at all. I figured that's good or maybe that's normal. I have a DRW dump body so I'm not trying to scream down the road with the 140hp setting I'm just looking for some better power and better shift points which I've herd this chip is good for that in most cases

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I don't use the ts chip but in a VERY broad perspective power is power and power equals heat. I could go on about how tuners are different but that's not the point of this thread. If I had to guess and guessing is the best I can do because like I said every truck is different, 50-75 hp setting pulling 6-8k with a bad up pipe connection you'll hit 1300 pretty easy. Not saying the canned at tunes are bad but they don't control egts like a custom tuner does. I wouldn't buy glowshift gauges even if I were puttig them in your truck, they just don't last. Autometer is a good choice before dropping the coin on isspro. The only problem I see putting the chip in just to try it and leave it in stock till you get gauges is that you'll really like the new found power and won't leave it in the stock setting.

Reactions: sbluke55

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have no experience with the old ts tunes, but I would be hesitant to tow without a way to monitor temps with them. Especially after having invested so much in repairs. $20k in it? A few hundred more to protect it seems like a no brainer to me, no? :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm definitely getting gauges. Il look I to autometer gauges. Do you know if the single gauges come with a single pod?

And yes your probably right I won't want to run the truck stock with the chip in it. But id rather do that then ruin everything I had done to the motor. I'm just curious to see how it performs on the lower settings without pulling a trailer. But maybe it's not a good idea with leaky up pipes and no gauges.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
At a minimum you would need two gauges. Egt and trans temp. Boost is nice to have. I was able to pick up isspro boost and egt with pod for my truck for $275. I checked over 10 sites and found the best deal. You should be able to pick up a good set of gauges for around $350-400. That includes boost, egt and trans.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You'll need your own wiring minus the egt probe wiring but fittings it should have.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts

·
Registered
8,562 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's the under dash mount look like. Idk man $400 what makes those so much better than the autometer?

Any other kits out there a little cheaper that comes with all wires and fittings

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
I like having an electronic sending unit on the boost gauge instead of a manual gauge where you have to run a hose all the way into the cab. It can lead to boost leaks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
192 Posts
What's the under dash mount look like. Idk man $400 what makes those so much better than the autometer?

Any other kits out there a little cheaper that comes with all wires and fittings
When I was looking, I believe Diesel Manor was the place that had the most complete kit. Literally comes with everything you need except paint for the pods, but can add that on or source it locally its cheap either way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts