Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so ever since i have seen podirtfarmers truck, I have really concentrated on making my truck a dually too. well luckly my brother/dad ruined the bed on his dually but didnt ruin his fenders. They ordered a flat bed and we saved the fenders and they said i could have them.

So thats one part down a few more to go but thats where my questions lead too. Is there any possible way I can keep my rear axle the same one and maybe just change out the front hubs and add adapters on the back to have a dually. When i tow i usally dont tow more than 20,000 and dont plan on towing more than that. I have a leveling kit and run 295/75/16's on my truck and would love to keep that tire size while possibly having a dually.

If anyone could chime in it would be greatful, because it would give me and my dad a project to do and I would love to have a 4x4 ext. cab short bed dually.

·
Registered
552 Posts
to run the 265/75's I think you'll need a spacer....as far as your rear you should just need the dually rims....drums are the same as far as I know....you do have to change the front hubs to have the dually spacers....its a pretty easy conversion really. Im trying to do my 97 but its tough finding a dually bed that people arent trying to rape me on price on.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
id love to do this to mine but its a SWB and SWB duallys dont look right to me. some 22.5s would be awesome

·
Registered
192 Posts
Your truck being a FWD the front is easy to do as the spacers from ford will bolt right up to your hubs now the rear would need to be changed to a dually rear end to run bigger tires every adapter kit I looked at would only let you run 235/85/16. Any bigger tire and you are asking to much of the bearings. It takes awhile and some $$$ but find a crashed truck and get all the right parts, it all so makes it eaiser to work on down the road. I can fix mine from any Napa or Autozone

·
Registered
297 Posts
podirtfarmer what kind of center cap is on the back wheels? i did the chrome lug nuts but no center cap . id like to have a a set. to anyone else i considering making mine srw, so my dually wheels will be for sale and one good fender.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Those were off of the single wheels they did not work on the front they stuck out to far I am looking for the chrome lugnuts for mine. Also if you are looking to convert to a SRW I have the rear end out of my truck still and it is complete

EMBRACE THE CHAOS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Podirtfarmer, so you went from SRW to DRW. Any new probs or issues. I used to only pull bumper, then g-neck 2horse no prob. Now I'm pulling 4-6 horse gneck and would like more stability. If I've followed the thread, you're saying the rear ends are different, so it's not just a wheel & bed swap? What's the deal on front wheels? I've got a '99 PStroke CC long bed. Thanks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hey Podirtfarmer, so you went from SRW to DRW. Any new probs or issues. I used to only pull bumper, then g-neck 2horse no prob. Now I'm pulling 4-6 horse gneck and would like more stability. If I've followed the thread, you're saying the rear ends are different, so it's not just a wheel & bed swap? What's the deal on front wheels? I've got a '99 PStroke CC long bed. Thanks.
i am still considering making mine a srw, i have a 99 drw, maybe we could do some parts trading? i also know someone who just wreaked his dually there might be some parts for sale from that. if your not to far from indiana let me know.

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
has anyone with a dually looked into putting a supersingle on the rear of their trucks with a semi rim kit? i think that would look bad a$s to have that much rubber back there

·
Registered
297 Posts
has anyone with a dually looked into putting a supersingle on the rear of their trucks with a semi rim kit? i think that would look bad a$s to have that much rubber back there
there is a thread on here with some pics of a couple, can't remember the name of it, but i think it looks cool.

·
Registered
297 Posts
forgot to metion about a guy i used to work with, had a chevy dually that he lowered and put 33" mickey thompson's under it, and it was bad a**.

·
Registered
192 Posts
No problems pulls hard did a 5000 mile run with the toy hauler at around 10.000lbs with out a problem although did get lucky when we got back as the rear had been opened before I bought it and some one had messed with the clutch packs and it fell apart :doh:now have a new TruTrac diff:nod: things great and she seems to pull smoother now. and with the short wheel base I have not had any issues in the snow she sticks decent.If any one is still looking to convert to srw I still have the rear end out of my truck I am also looking for some different rims. Maybe do a swap ??

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Just curious , what is the difference in the rear ends ? I have heard duallies have bigger axle tubes and axles is that true and is there any other difference , brakes , lenth , ect .

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am wanting to go to a dually rear end. I have a F-250 with 3.73:1 rear gears that only have 20K on them and new calipers at the same time, plus 4 stock ford alum rims that I would swap for a rear end, adapters (Front) and 6 rims. (My tires aren't that good though, but they are 305/75 R 16's) Anyone interested let me know by PM (I live in Ladora, IA 52251)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts