Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start this off by saying from everything Ive read and what I know Im pretty sure its a head gasket. Wishful thinking but does anyone have any other ideas?

Mods are in the sig and the trucks been deleted since 115k. It currently has 122k on it. The truck puked once before the EGR delete but has puked almost everytime Ive hit high boost on high HP tunes since the EGR delete. Im guessing since the coolers arent there to relieve boost pressure its lifting heads. I replaced the original cap with a Stant cap after it puked the first time hoping it was a bad cap. After puking again I replaced that cap with a new FoMoCo cap and same results. Saturday night I got on it getting onto the interstate and after letting off I could see a fine most behind me. I pull off and my lower radiator hoses are separated, as if coolant system pressure separated them. Puked around the cap as well. Anyone have any ideas? Going monday morning to talk to local diesel shop and get a quote on ARPs and new OEM gaskets. Planing on giving Rudys a call monday as well.

Like I said...wishful thinking but Im pretty sure its studs and gaskets.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I tried the wishfully thinking and deleted egr replaced about 3 caps and finally did gasket with arp studs and that fixed the problem I'm about 100% sure it's going to fix your too

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
what are your coolant temps showing when this happens just out of curiosity

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Some people see a quick Spike in there temps I didn't really knotice anything. The one time it puked the temps would bounce between 188-195 so I thought thermostat but after the studs and gasket they stay the same

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coolant temps are normally 197 and when it pukes it gets up to 199...maybe 201 but I've never seen my temps lower than 195 and never higher than 201. Deltas stay within 4-6* around town and 8-12* with long highway driving.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
994 Posts
typical temps. i see the same...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the truck to a shop today. They used some sort of dye test to check for exhaust in the coolant and found none. No coolant in oil either. Looks like Im lifting a head under high boost. Mechanic, whom I know well and is very well known in the area for quality work (they work solely on diesels), says itll be fine to drive as long as I stay out of it and dont pull anything...he is going to give me a quote on studs and gaskets anyway. I suppose ill do them for piece of mind and it should fix my puking problem at high boost. Anything else I should do while the cab is off? A couple monthes of saving should pay for studs and a few other things...new cold side pipe and intake elbow will be going on at the same time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts