Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 F250 6.0l. I recently started running into the truck starting up fine when its cold but when its been running for awhile and i shut if off, it wont start back up and just cranks and cranks. I just changed the ICP and that didnt help at all. I'm thinking it might be an oil leak or the start of my HPOP taking a crap. Is there any way to get a for sure answer on which one it might be or if it is anything else? Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a scan tool with me for the weekend.

1. Hot start
2. Ficm Voltage is 45.5
3. Just replaced the ICP, IPR is working fine i can control it and all that with the scan tool.
4. No CEL
5. Truck has not had ant loss of power or any unusual sounds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just went through the same thing. Ended up putting air to the HPO system and found a good leak. one of the o rings between the oil rail and top of the injector went bad

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
For the best diagnosis you need to do 2 things.

1: You need to watch your ICP values Actual vs Desired as well as IPR Actual vs Desired.

2: If your getting a reading of less than 500 psi from your ICP while cranking then you have a HPO leak and you need to leak test the HPO system to find out where the leaks are coming from. If your IPR % is greater than 14% than you should have more than 500 psi from the ICP. If your IPR is reading 85% and its still not starting then you have a HPO leak as your IPR % should jump to 85% then gradually drop to around 14% while cranking indicating that its shutting trying to build pressure then opening once the pressure has been satisfied to start.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep, I went through the same thing also.....HPOP is bad...mine was updated with an 2007 HPOP...hope this helps and good luck..

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
The 05-07 HPOP's are fairly robust and rarely fail. More than likely, it's either a bad STC fitting or the stand pipes and dummy plugs.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Jimmy they fail quite often. Mine and Jteets both failed and there are a couple other people on here that I have helped with 05-07 trucks and theirs failed as well. It's more common than most people think however they are definitely more robust than the early models of HPOP's and will outlast them in that sense but they definitely do fail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ICP actual - 350 Desired - 652

Im new with using the whole scan tool and all but i am guessing the ICP_DSD(PSI) is desired and the ICP_PRESS(PSI) Is actual? truck started up fine and it has been siting for alittle bit maybe 20 30 minutes since i last drove it. All this tool has for IPR is a % and while it is just sitting here with the truck on but not running its at 15 while cranking it goes up to 85 and then comes back down to 22. My FICM is at 48.5 V.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The hot no start issue is most likely hpo leak.. Stc fitting is easy to change.. Icp and ipr are both easy as well since ur back there. My only suggestion is to buy the Stc one piece fitting and do the conversion, and replace the ipr while ur doing it. It sucks having to take the turbo off to remove it after you were already touching it anyway. I'd spend the $200 to avoid redoing anything.. Beyond that, stand pipes and dummy plugs are your next best bet. As your actual icp is that high during start, it's most likely the Stc.. Hope all that helps.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts