Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

Purchased the 6 position bully dog chip for my 2001 Ford F250 7.3 L. Followed the directions - pulled the computer - scuffed off coating on contacts - re-installed and truck wont start. The "Wait to Start" light also failed to come on. Its rolling over just seems like it wasnt getting fuel.

Pulled switch - re-scuffed and cleaned the contact again - re-installed - truck still wont start.

Got frustrated and decided to call it quits - pulled the chip an put everything back together - TRUCK STILL WONT START?!?!? Now the "Wait To Start" light does come on.

To me (the untrained ear) it sounds like its not getting fuel but I didnt get a book with my truck so I have no idea what fuses to check.\

Any help is appreciated as I need to get my truck back on the road ASAP. Thanks!

·
riddin' high
2,877 Posts
pull out your PCM and make sure the contacts are bare metal! and then, omce your sure they are clean, scuff them a little more! you can hurt them, all you can do is brake them off, buty thats hard to do with just the scuff pad

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say PCM - what is that the computer cartridge?

I guess my problem is that Ive pulled the chip and my truck is still buggered up. I thought everything was supposed to return to stock with the chip pulled?

thanks for the reply!

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
is it throwin any codes??? does it even turn over??? do you have a scan tool?? not a code reader...scan tool.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it throwin any codes??? does it even turn over??? do you have a scan tool?? not a code reader...scan tool.
No idea if its throwing codes - I have way of knowing if it is. It will turn over - just will not start. And no - no scan tool.

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the keys were in the ignition, the PCM could have had power. Which means you possibly fried your pcm....
So if the PCM had power and I pulled it- -it would cook it? While I am no mechanic I cant imagine that cooking a printed circuit board can occur simply by disconnecting it. There were no indicators that anything had arc'd.

Also - if the computer was cooked - Would the engine even turn over?

·
Registered
69 Posts
So if the PCM had power and I pulled it- -it would cook it? While I am no mechanic I cant imagine that cooking a printed circuit board can occur simply by disconnecting it. There were no indicators that anything had arc'd.

Also - if the computer was cooked - Would the engine even turn over?
You don't have to hear anything arc to short something in the PCM. First rule when doing anything to a vehicle is disconnect the battery. It is just a good safety measure. Yes the engine would turn over.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do get the WTS light before I attempt to start.

I did find out the problem...

After checking the fuses for the PCM and fuel delivery systems - a book that a friend had had the relay descriptors. I found a relay that is for the PCM and swapped it out - it worked!!!

FYI - It is the relay in spot 30 in the under the hood fuse box. Relay must have coincidentally failed at some point while I was trying to install the chip. Im going to have another go at it and see what happens.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: Chip re-installed and everything is working perfect. Everything must have been hinged on the PCM relay failure.

Thanks for all the input!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts