Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's because the relay is closed. Try unhooking the two small leads and try the big terminal again. If you don't get sparking, the relay is good, and the problem is the small leads. One of the small leads gets positive feed when the key is on, so that wouldn't be the problem. The other gets grounded by the PCM when it wants the relay closed. That would be the wire that would be grounding out somewhere.
What exactly do you mean PCM?? And what is the big terminal? Please help I just got this truck and now it won’t start a glow plug Relay gets really hot

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude,,, 10 Years Old and you're asking questions in his discussion? ;) (really should have started your own thread for your problem...)

First thing is -> Troubleshooting GPR & GP's

Next, you can't ask everybody to type out "Powertrain Control Module" each time. Learn the the Many acronyms we have for all this stuff -> For anyone who needs acronyms for Ford
I’m a kid just got the truck sorry I don’t know every little thing about them if I did I wouldn’t be asking for help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 7.3 03 and it won’t crank and the thing on top of engine I thought was cylinode but turned out it was glow plug relay I think. It gets really hot and idk what the problem is but the truck won’t start.

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa,,, don't be "Sorry" ;)

Again, if you have a question, make it your question and start a thread that's just about what it is you're experiencing.

And what I pointed you to was all information, already on the site, that was there to help you. Look around maybe before you ask to be spoon fed, instead of taking the easy way (it's actually part of growing-up :) )

Welcome to the forum! We're here to help...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whoa, whoa, whoa,,, don't be "Sorry" ;)

Again, if you have a question, make it your question and start a thread that's just about what it is you're experiencing.

And what I pointed you to was all information, already on the site, that was there to help you. Look around maybe before you ask to be spoon fed, instead of taking the easy way (it's actually part of growing-up :) )

Welcome to the forum! We're here to help...
This is me looking around took me like a hour to find this website. Spoon fed would be me just taking it somewhere instead I’m trying to figure out what’s wrong so I can fix it.

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
OK, so read All about how your GP system works, how to test it, and understand what's gone wrong.
I'd bet your answer is to be found in that link I pointed you to "Trouble Shooting GPR's & GP's" (it's in a different color and if you just click on it, it'll Open for you)

THEN, ask away if it's not helped...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is me looking around took me like a hour to find this website. Spoon fed would be me just taking it somewhere instead I’m trying to figure out what’s wrong so I can fix it.
I also started my own thread.
OK, so read All about how your GP system works, how to test it, and understand what's gone wrong.
I'd bet your answer is to be found in that link I pointed you to "Trouble Shooting GPR's & GP's" (it's in a different color and if you just click on it, it'll Open for you)

THEN, ask away if it's not helped...
ok last question and I will stop looking stupid. But on the glow plug relay? Do I leave the little 2 small leads hooked up and tap it with a screwdriver to see if it sparks? Or do I take the leads off then tap it?

·
Super Moderator
19,736 Posts
Moved the thread for you convenience!

Reactions: nine9six and Hydro

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
No, no,,, you don't mess with the sm wires, they are the control wires. What they do is to create a magnetic field inside the relay that causes an iron slug to move when activated. That motion bridges the two Big connections together (causing power to flow from the battery to the starter). It is those two big connections you can bridge together yourself, bypassing the relay, and testing whether it's working or not.

And, for the relay, this isn't an all-or-nothing connection. They will pass some power through Bad contacts inside making it look like it is doing it's job, but there's not enough of a connection for the starter to work with. That's what the "Voltage Drop" test, described in the link, is all about. If there is a significant drop in voltage then the contacts are probably burnt past their ability to pass enough current.

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
New Thread,,, new problem maybe yea?

So, you have an '03? And there Is No starter solenoid on the fenderwell (it's been replaced by sm relay in your fusebox).

Lets' start over ;)

You roll the key to start, and What happens? You get a "click" from somewhere? Or do you hear Nothing?

A few things to try and look at.

First and foremost, (and here I'm going to assume you have an Automatic Transmission) you want to move the Shift Selector Up, past P or even in to N and try it again. Next, I would slide under your truck, with a big hammer, and give the starter motor a few good whacks (reseats a stuck Bendix or brush). Both of these are things to try if, when you turn the key, you hear Nothing.

If you hear a "Click", then turn your headlights On and have someone look at them while you try the starter. See if they dim a lot, turn yellow, or some indication that the starter is trying to draw a lot of current.

Let us know ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

So, you have an '03? And there Is No starter solenoid on the fenderwell (it's been replaced by sm relay in your fusebox).

Lets' start over ;)

You roll the key to start, and What happens? You get a "click" from somewhere? Or do you hear Nothing?

First and foremost, (and here I'm going to assume you have an Automatic Transmission) you want to move the Shift Selector Up, past P or even in to N and try it again. Next, I would slide under your truck, with a big hammer, and give the starter motor a few good whacks (reseats a stuck Bendix or brush). Both of these are things to try if, when you turn the key, you hear Nothing.

If you hear a "Click", then turn your headlights On and have someone look at them while you try the starter. See if they dim a lot, turn yellow, or some indication that the starter is trying to draw a lot of current.

Let us know ;)
Yes I hear a click. And when I turn the key on to start it they don’t dim so I’m assuming it gets plenty of power. I think it might be the glow plug relay what you think?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes I hear a click. And when I turn the key on to start it they don’t dim so I’m assuming it gets plenty of power. I think it might be the glow plug relay what you think?
You can also try jump the little terminal to the large power one at the starter, assuming you have power to the starter, 12v or battery reading, it should crank over. Starter could be bad.

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
I'm sorry, My fault, I'm once gain assuming that we all use the same terms to describe the same thing. When I say "won't crank" I'm talking about the Starter "cranking" the engine over (and there's No Way a bad GPR could stop That). By Won't Crank, do you mean it won't Run/Start as in the engine isn't "cranking"...

Unless it's Crazy Cold out, glow plugs shouldn't prevent you from starting...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Lets' start over ;)

Let us know ;)
Yes I hear a click. And

Lets' start over ;)

Let us know ;)
I'm sorry, My fault, I'm once gain assuming that we all use the same terms to describe the same thing. When I say "won't crank" I'm talking about the Starter "cranking" the engine over (and there's No Way a bad GPR could stop That). By Won't Crank, do you mean it won't Run/Start as in the engine isn't "cranking"...

Unless it's Crazy Cold out, glow plugs shouldn't prevent you from starting...
yes when I turn the key over to try and start all I hear is a clicking under the hood.

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
Yes but,,, is that All you hear? Is the starter engaged and turning and rotating the engine?

If not, have you taken a hammer to the starter body?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It’s hard for me to hear if the starter is engaged I will get a friend to help and listen for it and get back to you. Thanks for the help and replying

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It’s hard for me to hear if the starter is engaged I will get a friend to help and listen for it and get back to you. Thanks for the help and replying
My glow plug relay gets very hot to where it burns me..

·
Premium Member
8,676 Posts
Well, that doesn't sound right but Again, shouldn't keep the engine from starting....

The hurdle we now need to cross is - Does the starter crank the engine over? I would think you should be able to see the fan turning yourself. Stand beside the truck, hood open, looking into the engine bay. Reach thru the open window and turn the key. Does stuff move?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts