Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am new to the forum and new to Diesel motors. I have 05 F 250 with a 6.0 .When i press the gas petal half way the truck surges some. Its not like very bad but its noticeable. If i push the petal pass the half way the truck run out fine with no surge. It runs fine under normal driving. The injectors have been replaced truck has 140K on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No smoke when it happens. The RPMS drop like 100 to 200. Its just dose it at a area of the petal being pressed down.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Does it sound like the turbo flutters during the surge? If so the vanes might have a spot where they stick slightly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no the turbo sounds fine to me. It just drops some RPMS. I will look at the petal. Is it worth cleaning with some electro cleaner before i Replace TPS? If it is the vanes what can you do for that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
no the turbo sounds fine to me. It just drops some RPMS. I will look at the petal. Is it worth cleaning with some electro cleaner before i Replace TPS? If it is the vanes what can you do for that?

From my experience if the turbo is stuck it is stuck.....not partially stuck.

There is nothing you can visually see at the pedal. Can monitor it and see if there isw a dead spot w/ an analyzer.

Not sure cleaning/ spraying the TPS will do anything.

Could this be happening during a shift from the tranmission? Torque converter lock-up??

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
From my experience if the turbo is stuck it is stuck.....not partially stuck.
If the truck isn't run hard occasionally rust can build up on the plates the vanes slide in near the closed position, which is where they go when you try to accelerate.

Trans would be another good place to look.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rust isn't a factor here in Texas.

The problem w/ turbos sticking is carbon. When they stick they just don't free up and need to be removed and disassembled to clean.

May not be a bad idea to check the EGR valve while your in your search. Especially if it idles a lot.

The new Scorpion engine isn't gonna have any of these problems from what we've been taught in training. So far not one in the shop and a bunch have been delivered.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had the same thing happen to mine a few weeks back, would be at a red light and it would surge and when you started to go it would surge, had to get the turbo cleaned out and the egr valve, now it runs like a champ, good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The truck ides fine. I will look at some of these things. I will start with the petal and of there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Bigfoot9199 How did you go about cleaning out your turbo and egr valve? I am new to the diesel world my self.just looking for pointers. I was going to put EGR delete on soon any way how it helps out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My dad had to put it in the shop man, he was driving it, while I'm in Iraq, these guys on here will know what to do, they've done this before, sorry, let me know if I can help with anything else,-Luke

·
Registered
27 Posts
We use cleaning discs and a wheel stud brush to clean the turbo. We use motor oil to lube the parts when goin' back together.

IMO, it is less hassle to just replace the EGR valve instead of trying to clean it. Have yet to see anyone clean it good enough not to ever stick again.

Once you do all of this I'd recommend using an Octane Conditioner in the fuel system. It will prevent any issues in the future. Not necesary to use on every fill-up, but never a bad thing to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts