Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does your truck strategy change when you use a custom tune? Or does it always stay the same?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Nope. Only if you get a ficm tune and a roll back.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Well the person who writes the tune can change your strategy.. Alot of people like to use the VX4 I think it is. I dont think anyone uses the new strategy ford is using now.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Vivian at quick tricks will change your strategy if you have a less desirable one. If you want any tuner can do it, just tell them to do a rollback with the tune.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys for the info! Still trying to learn as much as I can!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Stupid alert here---

Will somebody explain 'strategy' to me.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The easiest way that I can explain it is, it the "blueprint" that the computer uses to run the truck. Kinda like the blueprint to building a building, etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks.

Adding to that, everybody always talks 'what strategy are you running'. Are these all different based on when the truck was built, and when the truck was updated in the Ford shop (or through using custom tunes?)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
OK, I don't have a tune.

My current "strategy" is vxbc9nb

Now, that is a Ford "Strategy". Created by Ford. Now, from my understanding, when a person with a tuner puts into their truck, let's say, SRL+ from whom ever, that Code vxbc9nb will not appear in their truck. A code from the SRL+ will. And most keep on file the, stock, vxbc9nb to go back to when needed.

Am I under standing that right? Or have I misunderstood that.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Thanks.

Adding to that, everybody always talks 'what strategy are you running'. Are these all different based on when the truck was built, and when the truck was updated in the Ford shop (or through using custom tunes?)
Yea it is based on when your truck was built or when the last time you took it to a dealership. The dealerships will update your strategy without asking or telling you.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
OK, I don't have a tune.

My current "strategy" is vxbc9nb

Now, that is a Ford "Strategy". Created by Ford. Now, from my understanding, when a person with a tuner puts into their truck, let's say, SRL+ from whom ever, that Code vxbc9nb will not appear in their truck. A code from the SRL+ will. And most keep on file the, stock, vxbc9nb to go back to when needed.

Am I under standing that right? Or have I misunderstood that.
If the tuner used that strategy to base your tine off of, then yes that strategy will show up on your truck. If they used a different base strategy then whatever they used will show up. When you return it back to stock the SCT will put your stock strategy back one no matter which strategy is used for tunes.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Oh and to add the earlier strategies are consider the best. When ford realized all of the problems that the 6.0 has, instead of fixing the root problem (the oil cooler, coolant, & casting sand), they just turned the power down. They did this because it would lower cylinder psi and they hoped that it would cause less HG problems. When you turn the power down on a 8k lb truck the MPG goes down because the motor has to work harder.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Everyone knocks the latest strategy but the truth is, when you have a stock truck (like it was designed to work from the factory) it is going to be the best calibration for reliability. If it was designed to keep warranty numbers down, then less warranty repairs mean better reliability.

It's not as simple as reducing power to reduce headgasket failures. Did you ever consider these things had too much power from the factory? The VT365 doesn't run near the power. The calibrations are all from Ford.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Everyone knocks the latest strategy but the truth is, when you have a stock truck (like it was designed to work from the factory) it is going to be the best calibration for reliability. If it was designed to keep warranty numbers down, then less warranty repairs mean better reliability.

It's not as simple as reducing power to reduce headgasket failures. Did you ever consider these things had too much power from the factory? The VT365 doesn't run near the power. The calibrations are all from Ford.
I never said that a certain strategy is the best. I said that the earlier ones are `considered' the best.

I also never said that Ford changing the strategy helped with warranty repairs. I said that they hoped that it would.

I don't think that these motors came with too much power. There are way to many of them reliably making way more power than stock. I think that Ford did all the strategy changes reducing power and mileage because they did not want to fix the design flaws in the engine. I am speaking of the oil cooler and the 4 TTY bolts/cylinder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts