Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I found and electrical by the turbo that was unplugged. It had been unplugged since I purchased the truck over 16 months ago. I plugged it in. When it went down to freezing a couple weeks back my truck sounded like a jet airplane when driving down the road. I only warmed it up for 5 minutes before driving, did not have it plugged in. A few days ago again in the morning it felt a little sluggish, started fine and I warmed it up for 10 minutes before driving. Over the weekend it felt like it had a slight miss around 2,000 rpms, I drive locked out of overdrive until I reach the freeway. This morning same thing but a little worse. Once warm it seemed fine on the way to work. I worked 4 hours then when I started it to come home it died, started it again and it died. I started it a 3rd time and feathered the throttle to keep it going. On the way home it missed, farted and seemed eratic, sometimes it felt like it was getting a boost of fuel and pick up great then went back to missing. I stopped at a mechanics shop and put in a new fuel filter and drove home. It missed ever so slightly around 2 grand or so but felt better. I'm going to pick up a new cps in the morning to put in. What should I check next if that doesn't fix the miss? Do a fuel pressure test? and then what? What is a contribution test? I have a diesel mechanic friend who works on over the road diesel mostly and he is a good mechanic. I'm pretty good as well, just not the best at diagnosing things. Any help is appreciated as well as opinions. Thanks All.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I can't give a solid answer on the missing, but the plug you were talking about is for the EBPV (Exhaust Back Pressure Valve). It's a butterfly style valve on the exhaust side of the turbo. When the engine is cold, it shuts, blocking a majority of the exhaust flow (hence the hissing), putting a load on the engine to help it warm up faster. I unplugged mine, because it wouldn't shut when I was idling the truck to warm it up, but it would shut going down the road, causing the truck to fall on it's face. A high-idle tune does more for engine warm-up than the EBPV could ever hope to.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
It's unlikely that caused the missing, but hey I've seen weirder things. When was the last time you changed your oil? I know old oil can cause some problems. A wacky CPS can also cause all sorts of weird problems as well.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed the oil 3,000 miles ago. The truck has a dual bypass oil system. The oil stays clean until about 7,500 miles. Last time I changed it at 10,000 miles. I'll probably start changing about every 5 to 7,500 miles somewhere. I can't justify the cost of the additional filtration if I'm dumping out clean oil. I have been running Valvoline but I may switch to synthetic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts