Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Truck stalled, major oil leak

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  nc1500 
#1 ·
I was just driving and noticed some smoke. Pulled through an intersection, the motor shut off and noticed a major oil leak on the top end. Any ideas what it might be? I brought the truck to the dealer but would like to have some ideas before I call them in the morning.

#5 ·
Don't mean to Hi Jack this thread but i was just researching oil leaks for my truck. Mine is leaking a little bit a couple of drops here and there it is coming of the bell housing and oil pan but I can't find the leak up much farther than right above exhaust manifolds on both sides.

#10 ·
Picked it up from the dealer today. Turns out one of the High Pressure Oil lines burst. I actually left a trail of oil on the road for about 1/4 mile before the truck stalled. Very expensive repair. They replaced both lines and all of the fittings. As well as changed the oil and filter. I probably could have done it myself for a lot less, but I had no idea what it was at the time and I was stuck in the middle of the road. Not a lot of fun. But now it runs like a champ.

#11 ·
Dealer? How much did they replace the hpop or just lines? Glad to hear it is fixed though. I have a after market warranty so will see mine is in the shop now!

#12 ·
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago; I changed the line myself but also broke the return fuel line and the FPR cover in the process. The tally so far is about $400 for everything, including another 6 gallons of oil to cover the 3 I initially lost plus another 3 due to an undiagnosed leak last week. Trust me; whatever the dealer charged is money well spent to not have to deal with this crap; I don't trust my truck to make a beer run much less as daily transportation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.