Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a tw chip on my buddies truck for him and it sputters only on the Smoke setting. Is it not gettin enough fuel or whats wrong? Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
sometimes that can be due to injector issues. Could be sticking/worn out. Same thing happens with my buddies OBS when he has it on the highest setting

·
Registered
511 Posts
How about getting some readings on the HPOP and the fuel pressure? That will answer a lot of questions.

·
Banned
733 Posts
Also, it needs to match the PCM. The code is different and likely if it doesn't match the PCM it will load it into an area of memory in the PCM the computer will not like.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Test the ICP while idling... normal is 600-700

If you test fuel pressure it should be 60 +/- 10 psi @ idle.

Does it do it while driving?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
maintain can you explain the ICP test. If the pcm code wasnt right then y would the rest of the 5 tunes work and not the smoke setting.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had the same problem with a ts chip. It worked fine except on the highest setting it would sputter and hardly run. It worked great on all the other 5 settings. I sent it back to be reburned and that fixed my problem.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It does it while driving also. I tried callin Tony but no one was there so il call him in the mornin and seein what he says

·
Registered
318 Posts
it doesnt sound like mechanical failure if the other settings work fine. And if it does it at idle that would point to computer/tune problems also.

·
Registered
91 Posts
sorry for the thread hi jack, how do you test the HPOP i need to know because i think may might be whats giving me a problem with my truck

·
Registered
771 Posts
Ive had the smoke tune on two chips... thats just how it runs at idle, kinda lopes.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
YOu can do the ICP test with a good scanner or you can use a high quality gauge that reads up to 5,000 psi...

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
my truck lopes almost as bad as my drag truck with a .649 lift solid cam when its on the highest setting at idle but if your on the skinny pedal it just screams like a raped ape ...lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts