Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
‘08 f350 6.4psd
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Don’t try to run the engine until you figure out the issues. You’ll probably just cause more damage to it.
Take the valve covers off and check the rocker arms for failure.
If those are OK, run a bore scope down the glow plug holes and check for piston damage.
215K is a lot of miles on a 6.4L
Oil leaks are pretty common.
@Roccafellas
Well the banging I heard I think was coming from the starter after finding a couple of the starter bolts missing. As far as running it I have tried to get it to run so I could try to get a code to pop if some kind and so far nothing, only thing the truck has had change is the battery light coming on when it first died and saying to check charge system. I have a couple warm days coming up this week I’m gonna try to figure a way to get it moved ti where I can work on it and start at the turbos and work my way down. Might be a hassle with the cab on but I have no way at all to remove the cab I could jack it up with jacks and wood but would rather to just take the core support out and try to just take my time with the cab on

· Premium Member
10,224 Posts
So engine cranks over now with no odd noises ?

Using ForScan to check for codes ?

· Registered
‘08 f350 6.4psd
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So engine cranks over now with no odd noises ?

Using ForScan to check for codes ?
Itll crank but I think with how the starter is held in by one bolt the flywheel is shoving the starter out of the way as it starts to fire causing the banging noise.
As far as forscan goes no I am not using forscan, all I have is a little craftsman brand obd2 reader

· Premium Member
10,224 Posts
Before you start tearing into the engine, I would replace the starter bolts and be sure the battery is charged
if the engine cranks over without making odd sounds, then it may be OK

Then get ForScan and the BAFX or OBDLink bluetooth -- a lot of these readers do not get all the codes on these trucks
if you are not seeing codes from the beginning - then may be a fuel supply problem, rather than electrical
these systems are pretty good at throwing a code if there is an electrical problem

· Registered
‘08 f350 6.4psd
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That is what I am planning on doing just haven’t been able to find the starter bolts locally yet and I’m hesitant on buying them online cause I have several other vehicles I have bought parts/hardware online for and it’s a hit or miss at best if they work correctly but I do have a video I am trying to upload of the truck running for a second till it shut off, just am not having any luck getting it to upload lol

· Premium Member
10,224 Posts
Just metric bolts -- I am not sure of the size, but should be able to get them locally
measure the depth of the hole, and get a bolt that goes most of the way in

You have one bolt as a sample, so should not be too difficult, I think

· Registered
‘08 f350 6.4psd
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just metric bolts -- I am not sure of the size, but should be able to get them locally
measure the depth of the hole, and get a bolt that goes most of the way in

You have one bolt as a sample, so should not be too difficult, I think
That’s what I figured and I have the thread size was gonna stop by a hardware store after work tomorrow and pick some up so I can get them replaced and to have a couple on hand as extras

· Premium Member
10,224 Posts
Chang the privacy settings on the vid

you just RT click on the vid and copy the link -- then paste the link here as text
or use the "insert link" button below and paste your vid link in the popup window
must have some text on the screen highlighted first for this to work -- like VID HERE

· Registered
‘08 f350 6.4psd
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well gonna go to ford today after work and talk with one of their techs and get the starter bolts since I can’t find a size on line to be able to match them up then from there I guess I’ll just eliminate one thing at a time till I figure it out and if I end up having to rebuild the motor I will

· Registered
‘08 f350 6.4psd
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well guys I have an update I was able to get a new starter I went with the xdp starter so it took a little to get it to me but I got it installed and it took a bit to get the motor to try to run after cranking on it for about a half hour, starter over heated so I let it cool back down tried it again and the truck started but died after a second, hoping to get it to stay running long enough to see if I continue to hear that clunking sound hopefully the starter was the issue

21 - 34 of 34 Posts