Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright Its time to start looking for the truck that I'm going to pick up in the next 6months. I have pretty much made my mind up on a 99.5 - 2003 F250/350 Long Bed Crew/Extended Cab 6speed. I plan on DDing the truck for a year or so until it is payed off and then buying a beater to commute in. The main reason for the truck is to tow a gooseneck with 1 or 2 Jeeps to go fourwheeling.

anything that I need to pay particular attention to as I start shopping? I read something about a certain year (2000?) having better rods in the motor?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
You have a couple of options here on the specific Year you want and what is best for what you are going to use the truck for.

First off, if you plan on "Heavily" Modding the truck it will be best to find one with Forged rods in it, they were "Generally" put in PSDs before build date 10/2000 that is the cut off date, PMR rods are used after that date, much weaker rods

I myself choose to go for what I consider the Cats Meow of the 7.3s and that is a 2003, the last year you could get one with the 7.3

It may take you a little time to fine one but it is worth it in my opinion, they generally have less miles, the interiors are in better shape etc. I searched long and hard for a Black 2003, 7.3 Crew Cab SRW Auto, but settled on a Black 2003 7.3 Super cab instead, still wish I had a crew cab today, but I knew I would have been searching longer. Also in general the 2003 models you will find more California emissions trucks out there, which is what mine is.

Don't be alarmed, the only difference is that Cali trucks have a Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM) instead of the Glow Plug Relay (GPR) system. This system constantly monitors and reports glow plug status back to the PCM and will throw a code if anything is wrong, the GPR systems does not and it is a simple relay system. If you do some searching on here you will find endless thread about trouble shooting GPR problems and cold starting, this is the most common thing that a 7.3 will have trouble with starting in the cold if the GPR/Glow plug system is not functioning properly. But with the GPCM system you don't have to worry, the PCM will tell you what is going on.

I believe they started putting GPCM on 03 because that is when the 6.0 came out and they have GPCM systems. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts