Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 ford powerstroke that has 226k miles on it and has an automatic trans(E4OD). Truck has nothing done to it but an K&N air filter and thats it. When the truck shifts into 3rd gear it shifts great but then before shifting into 4th or overdrive it begins to shake. Then when in 4th gear it shakes till around 60-65 MPH or 1900 RPM. The truck has 3.55 gears in the rear so my father-in-law thinks that with no chip (programmer) that truck shifts into 4th gear at 1500 RPM that the truck is lagging and that the shaking feeling im getting does any one have any ideas. Thanks cody

·
Registered
275 Posts
Does the engine sound like it's lagging when you feel it shake?
At 1500rpm I doubt that's it.
If it's directly related to speed, it could just be that your tires need balancing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
if it does seem speed related I would check your rear drums and brakes for warp and bad wear. My drums were warped and caused the back to almost hop around 55-65.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Check your driveline. U joints drive shaft and especially the carrier bearing and rubber mount. If the rubber is worn out it will shake and vibrate

·
Registered
649 Posts
get ur tires balanced!

·
Registered
275 Posts
if it does seem speed related I would check your rear drums and brakes for warp and bad wear. My drums were warped and caused the back to almost hop around 55-65.
If it were warped brakes he'd feel it in the steering wheel while breaking, but not necessarily in the whole truck and it wouldn't happen while driving unless the brakes were binding up, but if they were binding then he'd have other symptoms.

Check your driveline. U joints drive shaft and especially the carrier bearing and rubber mount. If the rubber is worn out it will shake and vibrate
X2. Look over all of it, but pay close attention to the carrier bearing. If it were u-joints you'd most likely be hearing a clunking noise too... got any funny noises?

The reason I suggested balancing the tires is because those are usually only felt at certain speed ranges, like 50-60 or 20-30.

BUT, we're all assuming that it's speed related. From what you posted, it sound like it's either related to how fast you're going, OR to the transmission shifting, which are two different sets of issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey guys thanks for all the info not sure what it is yet ive checked everything u guys said and then some. Tires are balanced and u joints are good it is going into the tranny shop tomorrow to see if there is metal in the pan and maybe filter is clogged other than that it just beats the hell out of me. I am sure that it has something to do with speed cause once over 60-65 the shaking goes away. Thanks for all the info cody

·
Registered
800 Posts
There was a TSB for the 95 and prior trucks doing just about what you're stating...

Article No.
03-21-18

10/06/03

Verify the resonance/vibration does not occur in neutral and is most noticeable between 1400 and 2000 RPM with the converter clutch engaged during medium to heavy throttle conditions. Also watch for the vibration to diminish at engine speeds lower than 1400 and higher than 2000 RPM. If the concern meets all of these conditions and the transmission has a built date prior to 11/13/95 (5L13), replace the torque converter. Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for removal and installation procedures.

2. If the vibration concerns do not meet the conditions, check for non-factory installed items that could affect driveline and verify proper installation. Also refer to the appropriate Service Manual, Section 05-00 for diagnosis and testing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts