Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting a new thread to hopefully get more feedback.

Driving down the highway today, and it happened on two separate occasions. My truck would randomly start jerking back and forth for a minute or two then stop. Checked my fuel pressure gauge and that was not it... Then I noticed my turbo boost gauge and sure enough, my boost was jumping and dipping to match the jerking. Usually my boost is at about 6 on the highway on level ground. When it was jerking it would go between 5.5 and 7.5 and later saw it dip to 3 at one point.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
TPS could be acting up. Your boost is following the trucks' performance. Might also be a sticky / bad IPR signal, that the pcm is try'n to fix

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know, thanks. Is this something that I will show up on a code scan?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked out that uvch video. I would guess the problem would be more constant if it were loose, but who knows.

I'll definitely read into other people with that problem and their symptoms. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Not necessarily because you may have it tight enough for it to stay generally there but not tight enough for a good connection.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to add this part in, when it starts chugging, I can give it as much throttle and it responds perfectly with power. I also have not had a check engine light yet.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sound like injector failure to me

Reactions: winona78

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it is the injectors, could a single bad injector cause the symptoms I feel or would it be a few of them?

Also, do you happen to know if a OBDII code scanner iPhone app could read a bad injector code? Just bought one but am waiting to get my truck back from getting it undercoated.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Not sure, I have one and it works pretty good I wouldn't see why not. But it may not be failure from the solenoid, may be mechanical failure that may not throw a code. Is the check engine light on? May be one may be multiple, you never know with these beasts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great to know.

I have not seen it throw a check engine light yet. Not when it is jerking either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts