Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I started the truck, I noticed it was idling kind of funny. Tach was bouncing up and down a bit. I let it warm up a few mins, then held her up to about 1500 RPM to get her juices flowing before I drive an hour to work this morning. Took my foot off the throttle, it died.

So I do it again, this time watching the tach jump around a few hundered RPM below and above 1500, but I never heard a turbo pitch change, and felt no misfire. There was no smoke out the exhaust either. So I let off, and it died again. I had no clue what it was. So I left for work. As soon as I get on the road and continue on down, I come to a stop sign. Lift my foot and she dies again.

I go back and get my trusty laptop and pull codes. I pulled an overboost, and ICP code from the resistors, and a CPS Circuit too low/high. So I bought a CPS from FORD.

After the truck was warm it never acted up. Tonight on my way home from work, same exact thing. So I'm not exactly sure if it is the CPS? There weren't any codes after driving 15-20 miles or so.

Plus, I have NOT changed the CPS yet, I haven't had time. And the tach DOES move when cranking, but I only get a half second to see it before it starts. Any ideas fellers?

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump::bump::bump:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I would think CPS. How much does that cost from ford?

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
307 Posts
my truck did the same thing if you did the resistor mod on your truck check the prongs inside the icp sensor connector if they look good then replace your icp as that will also cause the funky idle and cause it to shut off.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Down here it was $23.67
I will probably pick one u so I dont get stranded somewhere.

I would put that in and see if its the fix since you already have it.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
You easily could have messed up the ICP sensor from the resistors. Or just coincidence, but those codes clear real quick... unless it's actually messed up.

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You easily could have messed up the ICP sensor from the resistors. Or just coincidence, but those codes clear real quick... unless it's actually messed up.
The ICP and BOOST codes were from the resitor, I never cleared them. I cleared all of them this morning, I'll check again tom I guess.

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
The ICP and BOOST codes were from the resitor, I never cleared them. I cleared all of them this morning, I'll check again tom I guess.
Yeah but those codes eventually clear on their own. But they'll obviously be there if the part is screwed up. But anyway. I'm gonna have to remind you to call me or did you not find out yet lol

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah but those codes eventually clear on their own. But they'll obviously be there if the part is screwed up. But anyway. I'm gonna have to remind you to call me or did you not find out yet lol
Well, I doubt the tach would jump around like it is if it wasn't the CPS. I'll check tomorrow. And yes I'm pretty sure were coming.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Well, I doubt the tach would jump around like it is if it wasn't the CPS. I'll check tomorrow. And yes I'm pretty sure were coming.
Oh I thought the tach was jumping around WITH the engine speed, is it all over the place? And what day, tomorrow?

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
My money is on the lift pump...

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
No, engine speed stays the same, the tach jumps around.
OH gotcha. Then yeah CPS would be first. My bad didn't read it all the way.

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
4,057 Posts

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So when should I be expectin ya?
Sunday afternoon. I figured maybe if we leave here early enough we can get there in time to maybe grab lunch and talk about it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts