Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently installed h.i.d headlights on my 2001 F350 7.3. i also have a stage 5 dp tuner. they where fine for 2 days or so then i went to leave a friends and when i started the truck and turned the lights on right away it killed the truck. i red a little about this and some people say to switch the main wire harness to the passanger battery so both the pcm and lights arent running off one battery. but im not sure where the main harness is.. any help would be great. thanks mike

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
DP has defective hardware and, unfortunately, doesn't want to do anything about it :(

LOTS of discussions about this, they know all about it but blame the HID Kits (falsely claiming it to be because of a "cheap kit" or at first, Power Surge). A lot of people are in the same boat as you because of it...

I have read that some owners have successfully used Ferrite Beads to help reduce the RF interference that effects DP's hardware (and NOBODY elses) so severely. Might be worth a try, look in the Performance Forum here for a recent discussion just called "DP Tuner". Google DPTuner and HID for a real eyeful!

We're All disappointed in their response to this common problem.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
i had a f5 dp tuner in my 99 as well and hid's. ran em for about a week and it fried my pcm :dunno:. now im switching to an edge programer. some people say to ground the ballast off to something but it didnt help me.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Assuming your only using your lights offroad and not illegally using them on the road, blinding everyone... Try installing a choke or two, just a few bucks at your local electronics supply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks NoRahlPh i did order those and find out next week if they help!
@smokinstrokin99 i hope that doesnt happen! that wouldnt be good. but im grounding my lights today and i also ordered those clip on split beads so hopefully that solves it.
@JSchuricht no these are my only set of headlights i really dont off road

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey mike where did you order those split beads from? i ordered a edge evolution and hope it doesnt happen again to me :hehe: but they make new cars with hid's in them stock so i dont see why everyone gets pissed off about em

·
Registered
338 Posts
Assuming your only using your lights offroad and not illegally using them on the road, blinding everyone... Try installing a choke or two, just a few bucks at your local electronics supply.
What if he was using them illegally on road? Or was that your way to let everyone know your stance on HID lights? BTW...it's you're not your :rofl:

·
Registered
14 Posts
i recently installed h.i.d headlights on my 2001 F350 7.3. i also have a stage 5 dp tuner. they where fine for 2 days or so then i went to leave a friends and when i started the truck and turned the lights on right away it killed the truck. i red a little about this and some people say to switch the main wire harness to the passanger battery so both the pcm and lights arent running off one battery. but im not sure where the main harness is.. any help would be great. thanks mike

I am having same dilemma, Whether is DP tuner or HID like everyone mentioned. I also have a 99 7.3, DP Tuner F6 chip, hid lights. My truck begin to die after turning my headlights, and now last night the "service engine soon" light came on.

please any feedback!!! DP Tuner :50cal: Or HID :Shoot2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a stock 97 F3 50 and I have no tune and I put my HIDs in and they worked fine for two days and I'm having the exact same problem. when I start my truck and turn on the headlights it turns my truck off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.