Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The truck always dripped from the inspection cover. This is not a drip and is not comming from there.

There is oil in the valley in the center of the engine. There is oil all down the down pipe and significant on the right side of the engine. Theopil seems to be comming from the top of the engine. There is no oil spraying around the engine compartment though.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, it is not leaking from the dipstick.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Turbo o-rings maybe?

Or check the HPOS hoses on the HPOP. You might not get any leakin at idle (4-500 ICP), but as the throttle increases so does ICP.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is HPOS and what is ICP?

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
What is HPOS and what is ICP?
High Pressure Oil System, the oil lines and rails off the HPOP. ICP is Injection Control Pressure, and it's the oil pressure from the HPOP through the HPOS. So it might not leak at idle. But once you get movin the ICP is alot higher, and it might start leakin.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does leak at idle but it isn't spraying. Definily leaking upp top and towards the front.

I have to pull the fuel filter assembly off for starters to get a better view. Still don't get why it is blowing down the right side of the engine.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
It does leak at idle but it isn't spraying. Definily leaking upp top and towards the front.

I have to pull the fuel filter assembly off for starters to get a better view. Still don't get why it is blowing down the right side of the engine.
Everything that leaks into the valley comes down the back passenger side of the motor. Sounds to me like the two lines on your HPOP (right under the fuel lines into the fuel bowl) need new orings. The oil lines go into the oilrails on each head, might check there too. If those lines show any evidence of leakin at idle, they're gonna leak way worse drivin down the road. At idle they have about 500psi in 'em. Drivin down the road, it'll be anywhere from 1500psi -3000psi. So a drip at 500 = alot of leakin oil at 3000.

Make sense?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right on the money chvyrkr81. It also needed new gaskets for the fuel bowl.

The only weird thing is ever since I got it back it cranks alittle extra before firing up. Is that normal? Air in the system maybe?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
First thing... clean everything off real good. Let it dry and then get your buddy to start the truck and then watch...

You may even need to stuff paper towels into the valley to see where the oil is coming from... especially if it is coming from under the HPOP.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Article No.
04-4-4

03/08/04

ENGINE - 7.3L DIESEL DI - HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP LEAK

FORD:
1998-2003 E SERIES
1999-2003 SUPER DUTY F SERIES
2000-2003 EXCURSION, F-650, F-750

This article supersedes TSB 03-21-50 to update the service procedure and illustration.

ISSUE

Some 1998-2003 E-Series, 1999-2003 Super Duty, 2000-2003 Excursion, and 2000-2003 F650/750 vehicles equipped with a 7.3L Diesel engine may exhibit an oil leak at the high pressure oil pump outlet fittings and/or end plug (see Figure 1). The leak may appear to be a rear main crankshaft seal, oil pan gasket, or other engine oil leak due to the drain hole machined in the crankcase valley which allows any oil in the valley to run down the back of the engine.

ACTION

High pressure oil pump leaks at the outlet fittings and/or end plug can be serviced without removing the pump assembly. Replace the 0-rings on the fillings and the end plug using Kit 2C3Z-9G804-AA. All three (3) 0-rings should be replaced. Apply liquid thread sealer (included in the kit) prior to reinstallation. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

This is the TSB on it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right on the money chvyrkr81. It also needed new gaskets for the fuel bowl.

The only weird thing is ever since I got it back it cranks alittle extra before firing up. Is that normal? Air in the system maybe?
Truck seems to be running fine now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quick questions. Does the oil need to be drained to change these HPOP O-rings?? Also, the article mentions changing 3 O-rings which 3 exactly are they?? Mine looks to be doing the same thing. It's got oil running down the filter though as well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quick questions. Does the oil need to be drained to change these HPOP O-rings?? Also, the article mentions changing 3 O-rings which 3 exactly are they?? Mine looks to be doing the same thing. It's got oil running down the filter though as well.
The two o rings for the hpop lines and one o ring on the back plug on the actual pump itself. Super easy to replace because there are plenty of articles on here to help you. If you have oil running down the filter, check to see that the filter is tight, can almost guarantee that the filter is loose which is causing the oil to run right down it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts