Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 f250 psd and this is my first diesel to boot so i am kinda ignorant to the whole thing. but my truck smokes alot more so when i first start it and its a rough start to begin with does anyone have any ideas where i could start looking to get rid of some of this smoke :icon_ford:

·
Registered
245 Posts
My first stop would be glow plugs, g.p. relay and related wiring/harnesses.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
:ORG welcome:

bad compression, sticky injector(s), blown injector o-rings or cups, loose glow plug, bent rod, etc.

i assume you dont live way up north and its still cold. when did it start? did you buy it like this? does it go away after it warms up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:ORG welcome:

bad compression, sticky injector(s), blown injector o-rings or cups, loose glow plug, bent rod, etc.

i assume you dont live way up north and its still cold. when did it start? did you buy it like this? does it go away after it warms up?
i actually live in northern michigan and it has done it for about a month but i stopped driving it because of this , i know gas engines but i know squat about a diesel i think i need to just take it to local garage:dunno:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Diesels burn oil. Hence the nick name oil burners. If it only does it when cold and goes away when it warms up, then it's probably unburnt diesel and you probably need new GPs/GPR.
If you see white smoke constantly, even after the engine is warm, then that could be oil or diesel. If it's diesel, its an injector issue. If it's oil, you probably have worn piston rings.
If its oil that's causing the white smoke, you should be able to tell. It'll smell like burnt oil and have a bluish/greyish hue. If it's diesel, it'll smell like it.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
if you take it to a local garage, make sure they are reputable and know diesels. get a compression check and go from there. couldnt hurt to check the glows either, they may be bad but even then i doubt thats your problem. assuming it smokes a lot.

i agree with mcantar, does the smoke have a blue tint?

out of curiosity, have yuo ever checked your turbo fins for chips? these old trucks had a reall on the air filters, there was a bolt problem that allows dust to get past the filter. do you have metal screws on the air box or plastic?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is what i know i have new injectors on drivers side only so i am sure that the passanger side needs to be done and i am replacing the glow plugs over the weekend and i am sure its gonna be a great time. there appears to be oil and fuel in the valley the smoke definately smells like fuel and its really a light colored smoke. i really appreciate all of the imput and i am happier than hell that i found this site. i havent checked my turbo but i prolly should because when i bought the truck there wasnt any airfilter box or filter so that would explain alot.
:icon_ford:

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
... airfilter box or filter so that would explain alot.
:icon_ford:
ouch! thats not good. that could very well be your problem, a dusted motor... definitly get your compression checked.

·
Registered
245 Posts
^^- What he said :( Compression test will tell a lot then. Check the compressor fins for wear, chips etc. If you're doing GPs then it's an ideal time to do a compression test but then unless you already have the plugs, you might want to wait to get them 'till you know more about the top end and turbo condition. These things ( as with most engines ) don't like unfiltered air.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
keep us posted

1 - 12 of 12 Posts