Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today as I was driving home, the truck started to misfire it seemed and than shut off. No check engine light or anything and i try and turn it over and nothing happens, I have power still but the starter wont turn. so I get it pulled home. And I jump in the truck and turn it over and it fires right up. The same thing happend on the free way except it started right back up right away. And it seems like my mpg have dropped alot. Any thoughts? the motor does have 326,000 miles on it. idk. any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
CPS maybe?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats the cps?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Had a relay go bad that acted like that once.:dunno:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any idea which relay?

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O yea, I read a TSB about that. But if its going bad is it intermitent?

·
Registered
245 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyway to really test it? and how much of a pain in the *** is it to replace?

·
Registered
270 Posts
a 10 mm bolt right above the crank pulley its real easy to take out idk of a way to test it there like 30 bucks if im not mistakin its been almost a year since my 7.3 got stolen so i dont no price off hand

·
Registered
245 Posts
anyway to really test it? and how much of a pain in the *** is it to replace?
IIRC they're "hall effect" devices.... no way to really test. For the price I wouldn't even bother trying if there were a way if I were suspicious of it. Mine didn't even take 10 mins to swap out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright Ill give it a try. I just got back from driving it and in 10 miles it died like 3 times and took a while to start back up. And when I finaly got it to start it didnt want to idle. But its weird cause it fires up just fine and runs great but than while Im driving after like 5 minutes it just dies and wont start for a while again. And I had my rear tank almost full yesterday and Im already down to 1/4 tank would that cause that much fuel consumption?

·
Registered
245 Posts
alright Ill give it a try. I just got back from driving it and in 10 miles it died like 3 times and took a while to start back up. And when I finaly got it to start it didnt want to idle. But its weird cause it fires up just fine and runs great but than while Im driving after like 5 minutes it just dies and wont start for a while again. And I had my rear tank almost full yesterday and Im already down to 1/4 tank would that cause that much fuel consumption?
That is the way mine acted when my CPS started failing. Although after a few minutes, mine would light back up and run like nothing ever happened. Some days it would happen several times/day; other times it would be weeks between occourences. Can U scan for codes? CPS is always suspect with problems like this, but not always the actual cause.

·
Registered
270 Posts
yea mine was a 99 but it did the same thing idled rough sometimes or jus die it could also be the icp sensor u can unplug it and it will go into recovery mode and if it is bad it will run normal unplugged

·
Registered
245 Posts
yea mine was a 99 but it did the same thing idled rough sometimes or jus die it could also be the icp sensor u can unplug it and it will go into recovery mode and if it is bad it will run normal unplugged
+1. :thumb: :bump:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well I replaced it and drove it for like an hour and a half and it seems fine. I defently could notice a smoother idle than before so I hope that fixed it. I can scan it at school on tuseday to be sure though

1 - 16 of 16 Posts