Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2000 f350 7.3, 85,000 miles, banks stinger system, exhaust brake, trans command. Just replaced the CPS, no change. If im driving it will just die completely and start right back up. water in fuel, SES, and the wait to start light usually come on. SES goes away after i restart, sometimes it stays but not for long. sometimes it wont do it at all, sometimes 10 times in a row. a lot of times it will restart and idle fine but die the second i put it in gear, and others it will start for a second and die instantly. And when it is running it runs like a top.

I know I need to pull codes but untill i do any ideas on what could be causing the problem? I've read a lot about the UVC harness but havent taken the time to pop them off and check. Oh and i just changed the fuel filter and icp sensor because it had oil in the plug.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Did you get the cps from ford? I truck was doing the same thing, pulled the code and it was the cps. Then about a week later it started doing it again. I guess the ford cps sensor that I bought was also no good. Thankfully before I bought my second one, ford sent me a letter on the recall on the cps, and I haven't had any more problems...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get the cps from ford? I truck was doing the same thing, pulled the code and it was the cps. Then about a week later it started doing it again. I guess the ford cps sensor that I bought was also no good. Thankfully before I bought my second one, ford sent me a letter on the recall on the cps, and I haven't had any more problems...
Well, i actually changed it in november of 07 because the truck was doing the same thing it is now, although not as often. And i just put a new one in this weekend thinking i might get lucky, and if not oh well i have a spare. Both were ford new in the package, bought off ebay.

And i took my truck in for the recall when it started acting up the second time, they told me it already has the new style in and they didnt change it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please let me know what you find my 2002 is doing the same thing and I can't get anyone on here to give me much for advice. I went through previous threads and it seams that so many people have the same problem but nobody seams to have the answer. I live in a small town and mine won't make it to a dealership to pull the codes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out and played with all the fuses and relays, made sure everything was tight, made sure the banks ottomind chip was tight, made sure all the electrical connections under the hood were tight, and so far it hasnt done it. ran for about an hour without a problem, when before i couldnt pull out of my driveway. i guess time will tell, hopefully it was something that simple. i still want to pull codes and see what is stored.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
The only common thing I see is Banks. Did you guys try pulling that stuff out and see if it continues? :dunno: It happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 F-250TD with 93k miles that had the same problem. I fixed it, after a couple trips to the dealer with no better luck, with the following:
1. CPS replaced under warranty (truck died more than before and no codes)
2. Found ECM to be loose and shorting out...tightened up snugly against frame (didn't die out but still "chugged")
3. Had glow plug relay replaced (cracked into pieces upon removal)
4. Replaced fuel filter and completely cleaned fuel housing; added fuel cleaner (still "chugged" back to idle when sudden deceleration and/or downhill descent)
5. Found serpentine belt to be worn; replaced with new belt
My theory: belt was worn causing crank to not position in time with CPS and therefore thought I was running at another speed. Hasn't happened since and idle is extremely smooth and doesn't "chug" back to the correct idle speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts