Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my 2005 F350 King Ranch SRW needs an oil cooler and I would like to tackle the job myself but my issue is that because I'm running on 35" tires and it has a 3" level on it, it won't fit in my garage.

I'm not super excited about having to do it in the alley or in the street in front of my house (and I want to keep it secure while I have it apart). also because it's still winter here...

I'd say it would need to drop a solid 4-5 inches in order to make it in there so I'm looking for suggestions on what I could do to make that happen.

what size wheels will fit over the calipers? will a 16" fit or a minimum 17"? any other options for me other than buying another set of rims and tires to get it in there?

also, a Ford tech offered to do the swap for me for $800 CAD (about $600 USD) if I supplied all the parts. is that a reasonable labor rate?

what else would you do while the oil cooler was getting swapped? turbo return lines? STC fitting?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drive it in on flat tires maybe? that should get you the height needed.
hmm, I never thought of that...

wouldn't that damage the sidewall or the bead of the tire? it's not being drive far but it would be sitting like that for a few days.

·
Super Moderator
28,718 Posts

i would avoid the 16" rims for the reason you mention but you may be paying a lot and still have clearance issues

I think you may be off betting on your removal of what you think is a 3" level kit and tire reduction will net 5"
at the top of cab

i would measure some real world trucks to get some facts

then I bet you could find someone to swap stock for the level kit they pay a shop to do the swap ( no driveways or busted knuckles involved)

·
Registered
105 Posts
hmm, I never thought of that...

wouldn't that damage the sidewall or the bead of the tire? it's not being drive far but it would be sitting like that for a few days.
you're fine for a few days... i have trucks that sit on flats all the time and i just air them up and go.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Deflating the tires for the short run isn't that bad of an idea. I know a tractor-trailer driver who had to do that to get under a bypass on an equipment move. When moving big stuff it's a good idea to have a lead pickup with whiskers.

Air down, drive under, air up. Slow speed, short distance.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
You guys are worlds ahead of me...

I was thinking back it into the garage as far as you can and use an easy up over the front with tarps zip-tie'd to the sides of the easy up frame. I guess that doesn't do much for security though...

-jokester

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Could try and find some super cheap steel wheels with oem size tires. But it may not be enough. You'll need 17s to clear the brake calipers etc.

No one can steal a truck that wont run if it helps at all... At least not without making a big scene.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have not done this myself. However, I understand that the oil cooler swap is pretty involved and requires the dissasembly of the top of the motor.

$600 US doesn't sound bad to me. I'd let him do it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
You can ratchet strap the front end down 2-4 inches easy. Rear is a little more stout. 2-3 inches maybe.

Just get 4 good straps. hook from frame, around axle, and back to frame on each corner of the truck and start pulling her down. Between this and letting out some air should net 6" at the cab.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
You can ratchet strap the front end down 2-4 inches easy. Rear is a little more stout. 2-3 inches maybe.

Just get 4 good straps. hook from frame, around axle, and back to frame on each corner of the truck and start pulling her down. Between this and letting out some air should net 6" at the cab.
^^^THIS^^^ and air down the tires to 10psi to get thru the garage door. You're not going to damage the wheels/tires when only rolling the truck 20-25feet to get it in the garage. I am assuming the garage door height is the issue and you have more height inside the garage to the ceiling. Then you can put truck on jack stands and take the wheels/tires off until ready to back it out when done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think i have figured out how I'm going to do this.

I'm gonna go to the junk yard and buy 2 17" steel wheels and not even put tires on them. just back into the garage as far as i can, throw the e-brake on and put some wheel chocks around the back tires and swap the fronts with just the steels and roll it in like that. I don't risk damage to my current 20" wheels and who cares about junk yard steelies.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have not done this myself. However, I understand that the oil cooler swap is pretty involved and requires the dissasembly of the top of the motor.

$600 US doesn't sound bad to me. I'd let him do it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
basically, gotta remove turbo, intake, oil filter/fuel filter housing, etc. don't have to touch the cylinder heads.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Roll up to the garage door, take the wheels and tires off one at a time and set the rotors on wheel dollys(?) 12 beers for some friends to help you push it in(?)

k

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
If you have the time, just find another set of rims -- yard sale or someone that has swapped to new ones -- run it in the garage on the rims only

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
i think i have figured out how I'm going to do this.

I'm gonna go to the junk yard and buy 2 17" steel wheels and not even put tires on them. just back into the garage as far as i can, throw the e-brake on and put some wheel chocks around the back tires and swap the fronts with just the steels and roll it in like that. I don't risk damage to my current 20" wheels and who cares about junk yard steelies.

You might also pick-up a couple sheets of 1/2" plywood, rip them down to 24" x96" and use them for "tracks" to 1) cushion the wheels somewhat and 2) protect the concrete from chipping, scratching or worse. You'll give-up 1/2" in clearance but should be well worth that sacrifice.

I lieu of that, I suppose you could also wrap the wheels with some sort of scrap rubber for the few feet of travel. Maybe an old truck tire inner-tube or something. Don't know if the wheel edges would shred those or not.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts