Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice/thoughts?
Pretty sure I have burned a hole in the top of one of my pistons. My now dead (although it is running) daily driver is a 2002 F350 4WD SWB with only 157k miles. The truck has AFE intake, MBRP 4" exhaust, FFD stage 1.5 injectors, PHP Hydra chip/tunes, billet ww, and a few other common mods. The few quotes I have received is looking like 10-15k to have my truck rebuilt. That goes from long block and re-using what can be salvaged with mine to pretty much replacing everything new. Looking at repair vs replace. I just dont have a feel for the truck market and whats available. I cant afford none of this let alone a new truck, so really just looking for advice on the best way to spend my money. I loved my 7.3 and have owned it since almost new (10k miles) and was planning on keeping for my daughter (13) to use so I needed a few more years out of it before I was planning on buying new. I cant imagine spending that kind of money on a 18 year old truck. But I would be nervous of stepping into a new (to me) truck for 15k? Like thats not going to be me a lot of truck now a days. Thoughts?

I am writing this from my couch...I should be up camping this weekend with my family but the truck and trailer...fully loaded...wife...2 kids...dumb dog and me were on the side of the road waiting for friends to come bail me out. Good Times

Erik

·
Premium Member
6,163 Posts
Just replacing a piston should not break the bank -- now, that all depends on if there is other damage of course -- but 157k miles is not much on these engines, I suppose one would want to check out the rest of the internals, like bearings, lifters, valves , and cam -- but a lot of the parts would not be "needing" to be replaced -- a shop would push for a new engine or long block because of the comeback warranty

A hole in a piston would be a definite miss and a lot of blow by -- may or may not make much noise(clatter, knock) -- removing the oil filler cap while running would show a lot of puffing

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blew the dipstick out initially. Tremendous amount of blow by when you remove the cap. General consensus is I probably had a lifter fail open or on. I would just be nervous I guess thinking there was nothing else wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,163 Posts
You would have continued to run the engine for many more miles, if it had not blown a piston
Could just pull the pan and that head and replace just the one piston -- is that a "good job"? not really - but would be the cheapest way out
Likely would not get a shop to do that kind of work tho

Were you pulling the engine hard when it failed? maybe high EGT? -- an injector tip failing and putting too much fuel in, could burn a piston -- thought you would have heard "something wrong" before the failure tho

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, pulling a grade and loaded. But always have taken care with my EGT. There was some noise not a lot. More a loss of power and smoke and a very rough running engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts