Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy down the street from me with a 04 6.0 and its not starting for some reason. He replaced the egr because he had water in the oil and the ficm which was also reprogramed. It started and ran for like fifteen minutes and then just died again. He went to crank it again and there is no oil pressure. Does this sound like the hpop or lpop?

Also, he was running close to 800psi in the cylinders and is now only running 300. I don't know if that is a totally different issue or not. :dunno:

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Actually it sounds like he forgot to change the oil and it has now turned to pnut butter and wont work the injectors anymore. I assume you mean EGR cooler.

Just how hot did he get that truck, or has he had the heads off for some reason?

Altho if the FICM plugs have come loose it wont start either.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He says he does the oil changes every 3k. As for how hot he got it, I couldn't give a definate answer on that. I checked the ficm, everything is snug ith that. We had it started today for about ten miutes and it made good oil pressure, but then just died for no apparent reason. Didn't sound like a stall or anything...sounded more like the key was turned off. It was weird.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Your really going to need to get the truck scanned and run a data log to see what is actually going on. There are a lot of different reasons it can die or not start or be hard to start. Really need some better info.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Could it be that your buddy is getting water in the oil because of a bad oil cooler? I think that oil shows up in the coolant res also if this is a problem.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yea if you had water in the oil I imagine it was the oil cooler not the EGR.

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Yea if you had water in the oil I imagine it was the oil cooler not the EGR.
A ruptured oil cooler will pump oil into the coolant. I have never seen one pump coolant into the oil. Simply just because of the pressure differences. A very bad egr cooler can cause water to get into the oil, but they usually smoke like a chimney first. As far as the no-start you need to get a scanner on it that you can watch data such as icp, ficm voltage, rpm and egr valve position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts