Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 2000 7.3l psd with 81,000 miles. I recently changed the oil,oil filter, fuel filter, and installed a diy intake. While on my way home from work today, I put my foot in it and noticed it blowing thick black smoke. It's never blown any smoke at all. I was pretty impressed when I saw it, but then I quickly started wondering if it was normal (since it has never blown smoke ever and is pretty stock)?? It could have blown smoke in the past and I just never noticed it, but for whatever reason it got my attention today.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Look around for a boost leak or up pipe leak. Good chance you have one of those. My truck has never really smoked even with 180/100

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would guess its a up pipe leak my truck has a up pipe that leaks badly and it will black smoke while in stock tune

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Which intake did you install? Can you feel a difference in power?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Look around for a boost leak or up pipe leak. Good chance you have one of those. My truck has never really smoked even with 180/100
This sounds accurate.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Btw op I'm not to far from you, if you need some help looking over it let me know.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I noticed my truck blew a bit more smoke after the 6637 install and straight piping my exhaust.. guessing your issue is about the same..

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Every diesel I have had add a bit more out of the pipe with intake and straight exhaust work. Now, I dont mean black smoke by any means. Just a little "dust" when its dark out and someones lights are on my truck. If you see major, you have an issue.

My 7.3 got intake and straight pipe at the same time and I noticed a little smoke at WOT. Just a touch.....

Yours might go away after driving for a bit. You are changing things around and im sure your PCM has to get used to what you did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts