Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well heres what happened i was on the free way got off and was waiting at the light, while im sitting there i see some little clouds of white smoke coming from what i belive was the car in front of me but turns out it was my truck, so i drive about 2 miles more to my destination and decide to get out and pop the hood when i do i see the entire engine compartment cover in oil except for the passengers side as i look underneath my truck i notice ive lost about 2-3 quarts of oil and decide it best to shut the truck off, no the bad part as i walk back down the street i was on i noticed a huge oil trail comeing from where i was driving including the u tunr i made a to get to the house, now for the inside oil dripped down the down pipe onto the drive shaft and coted my etire undercarrage but back to the engine, i notice most of the oil seems to be pooled over the drivers side valve cover and the vicinity above it can any tell me if im lucky enough to have just blown a gasket or if i blew my hpop need help asap

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
is there alot/any oil in the valley of the motor?

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup theres oil in the valley all over the firewall, all over the turbo, all over the tranny all over the drive shaft, all over the exhaust, but i didnt see any oil coming from the hpop lines those seem fairly clean actually light soaking not nearly as much as the rear of the engine

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
perhaps the turbo pedistal orings????? not sure if those can blow and make that much of a mess though? can they, anyone?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well heres the issue im not too irritated about the mess as i know with some time and elbow grease i can fix it its that i gotta be up at 5am for a tournamnet that goes from 6 to 8pm

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
Anything is possible. But that much oil? Sprayed everywhere... smart money is hpop or hpop line (oring).
i agree with this. sounds like hpop oring to me too

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i really hope it isnt the hpop thats alot of time and money hopefully im wrong and my eyes fooled me when i check the lines but i looks to be more towards the rear of the engine

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
i hear you. like dirk said, fill it up with oil, and with that much oil leaking out you should be able to tell exactly where its coming from(hopefully just the hpop oring)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well there is so much oil every where that dripping off stuff its hard to pin point it but i'll just check it on monday

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but if its leaking that bad wouldnt it spray onto the roof of the hood how did it get on top of the inside of the fire wall

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
oring is blown at the rear of the fitting.Hole in rear of HPOP line.It is 100% HPOP oring/fitting/line.Especially if you left a noticeable trail.I have driven over 30 miles with no turbo pedastal oring and there wasn't near as much oil as when I blew the rear oring on the Hpop line.You could see the trail on the highway as we beat feet back to the nearest store for oil.1 gallon in 6 miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a high pres oil line blow. it got oil in the alternator and soaked the hood insulation. Ford repaired the oil line under warranty. A few days later i saw smoke coming from under the hood, when I opened the hood it flamed up. Fire coming from inside the alt. Ford refused to warranty it, and later the hood insulation fell apart, and i had to replace that also out of my pocket. So, make sure that you check the alt for oil saturation and maybe remove the hood insulation and use degreaser and wash it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
not tryin to hijack here but does the hpop have the same quick disconect under the turbo for the 7.3 as the 6.0 does???

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
The HPOP lines are a quick disconnect style, but i'm not sure if they are the same ones on the 6.0's or not. :shrug:

BTW...HPOP under the turbo?

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts