Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On initial start when motor is cold. The engine will start immediately than shut off shortly after. It is as if it is not recieving fuel? Just cuts out. To start I have to hold the ignition and press on the gas pedal for a good 15 to 25 seconds. When it starts it blows heavy black smoke. Any ideas? I have changed the glow plugs. No changes. :dunno:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. I learned through my own research that while it sits it looses its prime. Does anybody know of a quick and cheap fix?

·
Registered
221 Posts
change fuel pump and check for leaks. all it takes is just a little leak that sucks air in and will shut it down.

·
allergic to hot weather
1,208 Posts
Digging up an old thread looking for common spots for leaks I have a 6.9 that is losing prime and will not re-prime without starting fluid. Put an electric pump on but still needs a shot to pop. After it is started once it can be turned off immediately and then will restart on its own regardless. Glow plug system is fully operational. Can anyone tell me where their fuel system leaks have been to create loss of prime?

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
687 Posts
On my 6.9 IDI I was getting air intrusion in the fuel lines (on the top of the engine). Air seeps in and pushes the fuel back to the tank...thus why you have to crank on it to re-prime the system. There's a User on the site OilBurners that makes a kit that fixes the problem. $50 when I did mine. Price may have gone up.

Typ4

^ That's a link to his Profile so you can PM, should you decide to replace the lines. You'll need to create an account first, I think.

I'd say from start to finish, it took me 10 to 15 minutes to remove the old lines and replace them with new. Kit was top notch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts