Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck just hit 90K miles so I went to Ford and pickup up the Motorcraft Fuel Filter Kit drove back to the school parking lot and went to work. Went under the truck and let the HFCM drain via the plug and it just kept draining and draining. After I had about 1 1/2 cups of diesel I put the plug back in and went ahead and started to take the filter off. I unscrewed it and sure enough diesel kept draining out. I got about another cup and a half before I said screw it and put the filter back on. I haven't changed the filters on this truck yet but I have done this many times on my old 6.0 and never had this problem. The only thing I could think of was I just filled up today and topped off the tank quite a bit. Could it be because I just have too much fuel in the tank and the pressure of it keeps it flowing down line :dunno:

What do you all think?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sometimes they drip a little and sometimes it will make an ungodly mess. I have had them dump fuel for almost 30 seconds after pulling the filter housing. Just pull it off and let it drain. It will stop. Install new filters and away you go. If it dumps that much leave the upper filter lid off and turn the key a few times to help bleed the air and fill the bowl. Then crank her up. Keep the revs up around 2000 for like 30 seconds or she will die on you. When you change em and it don't drain a lot those steps aren't super super necessary.

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I had that problem once. It wouldn't stop draining at all. So from now on I always do filters with a half tank or less. I think with a full tank there is too much pressure to not allow the check valve to close off.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll wait till I'm at 1/2 tank and give it another go.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
758 Posts
I had that problem once. It wouldn't stop draining at all. So from now on I always do filters with a half tank or less. I think with a full tank there is too much pressure to not allow the check valve to close off.
I have never looked at the fuel level when changing filters at work. I may start taking note of it before I do the filters to see what levels make it easiest and what not. Good tip!!

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I've had the same thing happen, it's just because you have so much fuel in your tank. Once you're below 1/2 tank it should work fine.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
I always run mine to a 1/4 tank and park it with the nose higher than the rear end. Hardly any fuel will come out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've had the same thing happen, it's just because you have so much fuel in your tank. Once you're below 1/2 tank it should work fine.
Very true.....I tried to change mine on a full tank and it wouldn't stop...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts