Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - Let's start with an assumption that I am NOT an idiot. I am not saying that I am not an idiot, I am just asking that we start with that assumption until proven otherwise.:please::please:

I am at wits end trying to fix the exhaust leak between my Sinister Diesel EGR Cooler and the up-pipe.

When I have the clamp off:
1) I can move the thin metal gasket but I can't pull it back out. It looks to be lined up fine although I cannot confirm which direction the small crease is facing (and I am not sure if it matters).

2) I have put some never-sieze on the flange for the clamp so it will slide.

3) I did notice (by feel) a little weld splatter on the flange of the EGR cooler but I am not convinced it would stop the clamp from sliding - The up-pipe side feels smooth.

2) The up-pipe and the EGR cooler have a 1/16th inch gap.

3) The up-pipe and the EGR cooler are slightly off-set (left to right) by about 1/16th of an inch

4) MOST TROUBLING - The pipe nor the EGR cooler will move so the clamp is not closing the gap.

Has anyone else had trouble fixing this? Suggestions?

The one idea I have now is to loosten the rear EGR cooler mounting bolt (not touching the front two) to see if the cooler will move a little to let the clamp close the gap. I would then re-tighten the mounting bolt.

Is this a STUPID idea? Will is create a leak somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Loosen all 3 of the cooler bolts, it won't hurt anything. I always set the intake down on the heads,start a couple bolts in each end of the manifold,then line up the cooler with the up-pipe, put the clamp on,tighten it,then tighten the manifold bolts and egr cooler bolts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome - you have given me renewed hope.

Aren't the front two under the manifold? Since i have everything installed, can I get to the bolts with a wrench?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
The front bolts go thru the manifold,should be a stud and a bolt,kinda behind where the alternator bolts towards the center of the manifold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts