Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed my tranny temp gauge, i had some problems at first, wired it wrong :doh: but now i got it all wired right and seems to me its not calibrated right. it sat all night and when i started it up in the mornin, ambient air was about 45 or so. the gauge read 100. drove about 10 minutes it was already to 150. Then it sat for about 5 hours and when i started it up it was at about 125, about 30 minutes or so town driving, a little highway, it was at 160 or so. Is something wrong or is this normal?

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Something is wrong!! Did you make sure the end of the probe wasn't bottoming out on the casing? My trans cooling system holds just shy of 5 gal with the 6.0 cooler, it takes 20 min of driving before mine moves. normal trans temps range between 70-90 above ambient, the lesser unloaded the higher when toting a load. I think you may still have something wrong. Pull the probe and see if it was hitting the casing, put some washers on it if it was to pull it away.

NCH

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm, thanks NCHornet, ill check into that tomorrow when i have time.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do i tell if it is hitting the casing. its a single wire that runs down to the sending unit, so i tried to get as much of the teflon goo off, since i read it stops it from grounding out or something.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
I am talking about the end of the sensor ( probe) not the threads. Although you should have left some bear threads to act as a ground too. But on some of the 4R100 castings the probe will hit a casting debri lug on the inside of the case. This will give the readings you are having, most the time if it hots this casting you will break the probe by trying to tighten the probe up. Take a awl and insert it into the hole and measure how deep it will go, then measure it on your probe. I didn't have one of the weird casting cases, but I still used a couple washers to space it more in the center of the fluid flow anyway. I hope this makes more sense. If you have any more ? just PM me as I don't get back on the forums as often as I would like lately.
God Bless
NCH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts