Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen several posts about people getting injectors, turbos,etc.... then someone always states better put money aside for a trans. What actually breaks/wears out in them once more power is added to the motor?

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
The stock transmission has been known to handle 500 plus HP. Now for argument sake lets say that the line is 500HP. Once the power level gets higher than that the hydraulic pressure on the clutches just doesnt get high enough to lock them in and they start to slip and wear out. Now of course at these power levels, shocks to the drive line can cause input and intermediate shafts to fail as well but I believe the main concern with transmission failure is what I mentioned about the clutches wearing out due to insufficient hydraulic fluid pressure. Now Doug at GoGo diesel has an upgraded solenoid that will raise that hydraulic pressure and could buy you some time or even allow you to handle more power on a stock transmission. Hope this helps and am correct here. I am sure though that if I am not someone will chime in and set us straight.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
windrunner is right, you need more clamping force with more engine output. Think of the clutchpacks as a fancy brake rotor and caliper setup(more pedal the faster the rotor stops turning, less pedal, the slower the pedal stops turning.) And yes the in and output shafts need beefing up as well, what easier to twist, a piece of straw, or a steel I-beam. And get a better torque converter as well. THIS IS NOT SOMEWHERE TO SKIMP ON PARTS.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
A new direct drive solenoid from Doug at Gogo Diesel is a definite if you are approaching 500 hp to get your line pressure up so you don't eat the trans prematurely. That and driving it with a modicum of restraint goes a long way toward keeping your trans happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts