Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I’m hoping someone has an idea on what this problem is.

I have an automatic 2001, 7.3 liter diesel (about 150k) on it, and on Saturday morning I drove it to donuts, homedepot, and then home - zero issues. Early afternoon my son loaded it up to go surfing, puts it into Drive and the transmission wouldn’t engage. Reverse still works perfectly, but none of the forward drive gears would engage.

One note-since I have owned the truck, the coast clutch has never worked (meaning when I manually downshift on steep hills, the transmission does not engage to slow the truck down). While I’m told this is a problem, I was also told it shouldn’t affect the drive ability of the truck, which I don’t believe has in any way.

The transmission has a John wood valve body, and has never shown any signs of slipping, skipping or anything else. I am the second owner and I changed the fluid and filter at about 120k (three years ago) with Schaefer’s atf. I rarely pull with the truck, and when I do it’s a 2,000 lbs pop-up. I checked the two torque bolts under the dash, and they were loose, so I tightened those, but it didn’t fix the problem.

I have ordered a new filter and fluids (again Schaefer atf-which John woods said to use). The fluid is at the correct level so I don’t think that’s the issue. My only other thought was the transmission range sensor. The engine light has not come on. I can’t image this is really a transmission issue, since it has been working perfectly. Any thoughts, anyone’s ideas would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Download Forscan and lets see what the codes are like -- PC version is best, but use whatever platform you have

Torque Pro works well as a monitor

Don't mess with the oil and filters until you get the problem fixed -- no need to throw money at the transmission needlessly

The range switch could be the problem, also the manual valve guide pin inside can wear into -- there are vids on the tube

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Hydro, I will download and run the diagnostic and see what it says. I'll let you know in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hydro, I’ve never used FORScan before, but I hooked it up today and started running tests on the transmission, but I’m not sure what the results mean. Any guidance or places to look on how to better use FORScan and understand the results? Their website and forum didn’t have a lot of helpful information. Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is there any play in your gear selector? Mine got loose before and I had trouble finding and staying in a gear.

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Hydro, I’ve never used FORScan before, but I hooked it up today and started running tests on the transmission, but I’m not sure what the results mean. Any guidance or places to look on how to better use FORScan and understand the results? Their website and forum didn’t have a lot of helpful information. Thanks
Main thing we are looking for here are codes related to the transmission -- the tests are specific to the truck year, so not sure that what I see on my Forscan is the same as yours(I have a 2006)

There can be a loose pass through bolt under the valve body that feeds the fluid to the clutches. Re-torqueing them down and reinstall the valve body and solenoid pack. Good as new and a cheap fix - worth a shot if there are no codes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts