Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much hassle would it be for me to swap out my 5r110 for a 6r140? i seem to be having some issues with my 5r110 and i would prefer the 6 speed anyways. is this a good or bad idea.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
It seems like I remember hearing someone wanting to do this a while back but I cant remember where I saw it at. Provided that it would actually bolt up to the 6.0 and not use some adapter plate, your probably gonna have to look at a new tranny mount, custom lines, and some sort of controller to tell it what to do. I wouldn't think this would be a very easy swap but I honestly don't know enough to say for sure.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it possible to make my 5r110 run on 6 speeds anyways? is there a way i can reprogram it to do so? it automatically runs on 6 speeds when cold but is there a way to make it do so when its hot? ( i cant remember if its third or fourth gear but it runs one of those to gears and overdrive at the same time to create an extra gear. the problem i am having with my transmission is that it cant hold itself in gear under a lot of power BUT i cant hold itself in gear under WOT.... but at three quarters it will kick out of gear then BUCK back into gear with some unpleasant whiplash.... and i also think my torque converter seems to be part of the issue but im not sure. im running my truck locked in EVERY gear right now and it doesnt do it hardly at all ( it may occasionally im not sure ) but its not a fun ride. constantly shifting up and down at lower speeds and cruises at higher rpms and shifts much harder.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
is it possible to make my 5r110 run on 6 speeds anyways? is there a way i can reprogram it to do so? it automatically runs on 6 speeds when cold but is there a way to make it do so when its hot? ( i cant remember if its third or fourth gear but it runs one of those to gears and overdrive at the same time to create an extra gear. the problem i am having with my transmission is that it cant hold itself in gear under a lot of power BUT i cant hold itself in gear under WOT.... but at three quarters it will kick out of gear then BUCK back into gear with some unpleasant whiplash.... and i also think my torque converter seems to be part of the issue but im not sure. im running my truck locked in EVERY gear right now and it doesnt do it hardly at all ( it may occasionally im not sure ) but its not a fun ride. constantly shifting up and down at lower speeds and cruises at higher rpms and shifts much harder.
Two things come to mind, either you have mechanical issues with the trans or you need to have your tunes adjusted to your liking.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two things come to mind, either you have mechanical issues with the trans or you need to have your tunes adjusted to your liking.
i lean towards mechanical issues because when i first started running the tunes this was no issue. HOWEVER i Flushed ALL fluids right before i put the new tunes on. i flushed ALL at 85K and loaded new tunes at 85K truck ran FINE till 87K. then it started to goof. by 88K it was way worse. so i run a different tune with torque conver locked in all gears now. and it seems much better but not fixed. but since the tq converter is locked it does provide a totally different ride.

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
It seems like I remember hearing someone wanting to do this a while back but I cant remember where I saw it at. Provided that it would actually bolt up to the 6.0 and not use some adapter plate, your probably gonna have to look at a new tranny mount, custom lines, and some sort of controller to tell it what to do. I wouldn't think this would be a very easy swap but I honestly don't know enough to say for sure.
You might be thinking of me. I looked into trying to do a 6r140 swap wwhen my tranny went, but after about ten minutes of searching I decided it was not worth the effort. I am pretty sure it will not just bolt up, and the mounts don't line up. The biggest hurdle would be tuning it, and at the moment, there has been no one who has built a stand alone controller for the 6r140 and that is what you would be needing. A person is better off just having the 5r110 built to handle extra power.

As far as I know, ther is no way to make the 5r110 act like a six speed. I don't think a 4-5 shift is possible, and if it could, it wouldn't be any benefit because the ratios are so close

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is what interests me

Gear:

1 3.11

2 2.20

3 1.54

4 1.00

5 (OD) 0.71

Reverse 2.88

While advertised as a 5-speed automatic, the TorqShift is technically a 6-speed automatic. By engaging 3rd gear and overdrive simultaneously, a 1.09:1 gear ratio is accomplished. This gear is only used during cold operation, and once the transmission/engine are warm, the standard 1-5 gears are used (ratios above). This 1.09:1 is considered the "true" 4th gear, but is not used during normal operation

your right about the ratios being very close but im not sure what kind of difference it would yield in every day driving.

either way back to my transmission issue. I feel the trans flush my be part of the issue or that the torque converter is almost shot. i was considering a re flush and filter change but im not sure what good it will do after 5K miles the damage may already be done.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
i lean towards mechanical issues because when i first started running the tunes this was no issue. HOWEVER i Flushed ALL fluids right before i put the new tunes on. i flushed ALL at 85K and loaded new tunes at 85K truck ran FINE till 87K. then it started to goof. by 88K it was way worse. so i run a different tune with torque conver locked in all gears now. and it seems much better but not fixed. but since the tq converter is locked it does provide a totally different ride.
Was the flush at 85k your first? More than likely that is what caused your problems.

Just build your 5r

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes it was my first. but my dealership didnt even recommend the flush till 100k

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
yes it was my first. but my dealership didnt even recommend the flush till 100k
What? :doh: should do it every 30k some times when you go a long time on tranny fluid then flush it, it will loose junk up and after a few heat cycles they will break off and mess up your tranny. That is why I tell customers that If they havent serviced their tranny in a long time just run it. Flushing it may cause you problems.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to late for a reflush?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to late for a reflush?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I have heard not to flush these things but rather just drain, change the filter, and refill what what drained out.
flushing is great for them... but you have to do it every 30k. Ive never had a stock tranny go out on me even with all the set ups ive tried. flushed mine every 30k. maintenance is key.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Ok good to know Matt. I guess since I have 93k on mine that it is too late for a flush right?? :hehe::hehe::hehe:

I guess I will have to start with the flushes when I get my new tranny.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Glad I read this! I was thinking about flushing my tranny this weekend. 127k miles and I have no idea if it's ever been flushed. Guess I'm just gone run it and watch it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So i was just over looking the sheet the ford dealer gave me and they used Mercon V and i should of got Mercon SP. im gonna call and complain cause the transmission did work fine before... so i wonder if this did some damage or not im gonna have them put the correct fluid in it and see if it fixes it.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Glad I read this! I was thinking about flushing my tranny this weekend. 127k miles and I have no idea if it's ever been flushed. Guess I'm just gone run it and watch it.

Drain, refill with new fluid... Run a bit, drain change filter and fill up with new fluid.

Best thing to do:thumb:

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
What he said my buddy who is a senior diesel master tech told me the same thing as well as making sure to only run Mercon SP in it. And change both filters. Not to scare you op but he also told me he has seen people come from other ford dealerships where they flushed and put Mercon V in it and then had problems and came to them for a second opinion and that made him a "believer" that putting anything else in will trash your trans.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
What he said my buddy who is a senior diesel master tech told me the same thing as well as making sure to only run Mercon SP in it. And change both filters. Not to scare you op but he also told me he has seen people come from other ford dealerships where they flushed and put Mercon V in it and then had problems and came to them for a second opinion and that made him a "believer" that putting anything else in will trash your trans.
Your tech buddy could "know" by reading the owners guide.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts