Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 2wd f350 crew cab and a few days ago i was getting rowdy with my friends and decided to do a burnout. I know, stupid. I slowly started to notice the truck was shifting differently afterwards. Before, when i would back in at my house, going from Reverse to park i would get a noticeable clunk noise. Going into drive you could feel the trans engage and really want to move the truck. Dont have that anymore either.

So now i have a slip/vibration at take off. At first it was only shifting from neutral or park into drive but now its happening at every stop and go. I havent serviced the trans since i have owned it but oil looks clean on the stick and its got 185k on the original trans

I feel very stupid that i did this to my truck but i gotta take it on the chin and keep moving forward. Any ideas on what it could be?

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I would check the fluid. Fluid has a bad habit of looking clean on the engine and transmission dipstick and then when you drain it. It looks drastically different. It could be any number of things. Shift flare from a failing solenoid, clutch packs, fluid pump, the list goes on. But draining the pan and dropping the pan to change the 6-8 quarts and filter is very good insurance to see if the magnet on the pan has a huge amount of clutch pack material or metal chunks/flakes. Sometimes just the fresh fluid will help in a situation like this. Its a little risky to flush a transmission with hire miles and your situation complicates it.

One thought it the old fluid becomes saturated with the clutch pack material thus keeping the thing together so to say so flushing it removes the material and now the clutch starts to reveal its shortcomings. Its just a thought from shops but I tend to agree from my own personal experience. And as a result of two issues after flushing I just drain the pan and my original transmission in my 1999 seems to like the service lol.

Also the 5r100 has a transmission control module its a newer design than previous trucks and completely electronically controlled. Not all scanners pick up those codes so if you have a TRUSTED shop run the codes it may tell you more. Soon as you tell some shops you did a burn out they see $$$ so just be cautious and try the small stuff yourself to save money/time.

PS 99% of people have done/tried a burnout without issue. Ya its not good but gotta live every once in a while :)

Reactions: Spirit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply and the insite. I will try tomorrow to limp it to my work (im a fleet semi mechanic) and pull the pan and filters to take a look. I will down it there for the time being. If it looks convincing enough i might change the oil and filters and take her for a drive. If everything looks clean and up to par i might just take it by a shop my friend is real familiar with and he trusts him and have him take a look at it. At the end of the day i have accepted the fact i might have to throw a new trans or rebuild at it so i will just have to see what happens.

I will keep this thread updated for the next guys sake and probably post pictures if thats possible. This site has saved me a bunch and i need to contribute

1 - 3 of 3 Posts