Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering how you service your trannys and how often. Im leaving for a 1200 mile trip in a couple days and thought I better get the tranny flushed or at least drain and fill with new filter. Let me know what you guys do and what products you use etc. Thanks alot!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Should get tranny flushed no later than 95k. I think it is a good idea every 40k or so.
Just my input. I would run it by the dealer and have them do it real quick.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Personally if you have never had the trans serviced. I would not do it. It seems like always with my previous experinces if the trans has never been serviced. It seems like things have always gone wrong after a servicing with the trans.

But if your gonna do it. I suggest you use what ever fluid is in there now. As in if there is regular dexron 3 in there then use that. If there is synthetic then use synthetic.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Should get tranny flushed no later than 95k. I think it is a good idea every 40k or so.
Just my input. I would run it by the dealer and have them do it real quick.
every 30,000 miles the trans should be serviced.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Personally if you have never had the trans serviced. I would not do it. It seems like always with my previous experinces if the trans has never been serviced. It seems like things have always gone wrong after a servicing with the trans.

But if your gonna do it. I suggest you use what ever fluid is in there now. As in if there is regular dexron 3 in there then use that. If there is synthetic then use synthetic.
I do agree here. If you are high on the miles and it has not been done, Some say to leave it. I bought an F150 years ago, 15 or so, It had 130k and brown tranny fluid, I changed it and started slipping after.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
every 30,000 miles the trans should be serviced.
I took my rig in to get it serviced at 30K and the dealership told me that my truck wasn't supposed to have the tranny serviced until 100K. Can anyone vouch for this? I doubt they try to run my tranny into the ground, seeing as how the warranty is on them...not to mention I've never heard of a dealer turning down money. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
If I remember correctly The manual states first service at 95k. I could be wrong. But after my F150 years ago, I have always been a stickler to flushing every 40k. It maybe over kill, But if you start form day one. Your tranny should have a nice looooooong life.
Once again, Just my opinion.
That is what this forum is all about. Getting infomation from all sides. And using it to amke a wise decision.
Just like buying Ford's:thumb:

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I took my rig in to get it serviced at 30K and the dealership told me that my truck wasn't supposed to have the tranny serviced until 100K. Can anyone vouch for this? I doubt they try to run my tranny into the ground, seeing as how the warranty is on them...not to mention I've never heard of a dealer turning down money. :dunno:

the warranty on the tranny is only 3/36,000 not 5/100,000

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,668 Posts
I do agree here. If you are high on the miles and it has not been done, Some say to leave it. I bought an F150 years ago, 15 or so, It had 130k and brown tranny fluid, I changed it and started slipping after.
\\

The issue you had may have been waiting too long to have the tranny fluid changed.

The manual states clearly to have the transmission flushed at 30,000 miles. If you have a good dealership, there are no worries - just have it done.

The manual ALSO states - Mercon SP fluid is a MUST. Many people take it to a transmission shop and get the wrong fluid - only to have problems shortly thereafter.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
\\

The issue you had may have been waiting too long to have the tranny fluid changed.

The manual states clearly to have the transmission flushed at 30,000 miles. If you have a good dealership, there are no worries - just have it done.

The manual ALSO states - Mercon SP fluid is a MUST. Many people take it to a transmission shop and get the wrong fluid - only to have problems shortly thereafter.
The manual says nothing about flushing; simply changing the fluid and external filter at 30k. Flushing will loosen up a considerable amount of debris especially if the OP hasn't been consistent at following the maintenance intervals.

6.0Sean, you should download and review the maintenance intervals for your truck. Here's a LINK, bud.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The manual says nothing about flushing; simply changing the fluid and external filter at 30k. Flushing will loosen up a considerable amount of debris especially if the OP hasn't been consistent at following the maintenance intervals.

6.0Sean, you should download and review the maintenance intervals for your truck. Here's a LINK, bud.
Thanks alot evil eye!

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,668 Posts

Evil Eye - what you say isn't the whole story. The manual DOES say something about flushing!

In the 2006 Diesel Supplement, page 56, the recommendation is to change the fluid and internal filter. I do admit it does not say "flush" here (I thought it did, so thanks for setting me straight here).

However, on page 50, there is a section on fluid flushing. Here they state that flushing is a viable method for changing fluids using Ford approved flushing chemicals. Most dealerships will tell you to use the hot flush procedure so you can open up the system temperature based flow restrictions and remove all the fluid. If you do not do this, you will leave a large percentage of the original fluid in the system.

The manual certainly leaves it up to personal choice, but the fact is - a simple drain and fill is 8 quarts - refill capacity is 17.5 quarts. Personally, I would not want this much old fluid left in the system and most dealerships will concur (maybe only to get more $$'s, but I doubt it) but it is without question a more thorough procedure.

I have had my system flushed and many I know have also - with no issues.

The OP is at 30k miles so he has no issues with a dirty system. I still recommend the flush. Either way, his dealership is misleading him with the "do nothing until 100k miles" speech.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Mark, You're right and I agree that flushing is the better of the two options. I must have overlooked that he said he had 30k miles. No worries, bud! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
\\

Bought the truck used with 98K on it. It was long ago, But I should have looked at the Tranny fluid before purchase.
But thanks. It's one of those.... Oh what do you call it...
LIFE LESSONS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts