Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a few questions regarding my transmission. I've googled and searched and now I'm worried about grounds and what pan to use and a whole lot of other stuff that strays from the original question lol. My trans feels like it's slipping, it'll get up to I believe 3rd gear then it has a hard time finding 4th. RPMs will go up fast like it's in neutral so I always let off the throttle for a little bit and all is fine.

Couple interesting notes, my old '06 usually stayed right around 150-155 TFT, this '05 is around 170-175. It is lifted on bigger tires (see sizes and specs in description) but I've always wandered if it would cause that much of a difference. Are these temps normal?

Now for the part that's been driving me nuts. What's the fix? I've been reading everything from it's just a solenoid to I need a whole new pan, to I just need to check the grounds and clean any corrosion off them. What should my first angle of approach be? I don't want to spend a whole lot of money like anyone else, however the truck does have 195k miles and I have no records of any transmission work or service done.

So far I've ordered 8 courts of Mercon LV but I'm still on the fence on if I want to buy the 6.4 pan / filter so all I have is the fluid right now lol. What route should I go?

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
The only filtration you have stock is the toilet paper filter up front near the trans cooler. With the '08 pan you can install a filter "inside" the tranmission pan. I will let others handle the "flare" or slip you are experiencing. For PM personally I would not "flush" as in recover all fluid and fill with new. Instead I would drop the pan, install the '08 filter and '08 pan then refill with the correct fluid. I use Amsoil fluid and OEM filters. I have 343K on my trans and still holding my breath.

k

Reactions: Hydro

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Forscan and check the codes, is where I would start

plus 1 on a sticking solenoid

·
Registered
699 Posts
Another plus one on sticking solenoid.

Unless you have changed tunes recently. Or had the batteries out.

You could try to do a re learn on the tranny. But sounds like a solenoid.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SCT shows no codes, which solenoid do I need to buy?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone else have anything to add in? Is it a matter of getting a new solenoid or something else?

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
SCT shows no codes, which solenoid do I need to buy?
SCT is known to be a poor code reader, that's why I suggested Forscan

Not familiar enough with these transmission to direct you to the correct solenoid
short of removing them and actuating the solenoid to see if it is free

Usually, but not always -- heat is a factor in a sticking solenoid valve
so, cold it may act one way, and hot another
some solenoid valves can be cleaned, just by using brake clean and air

·
Premium Member
11,727 Posts
I wouldn't bet much on the SCT reading transmission codes. With Forscan you can also watch the shifts and the TC lock to help with the diagnosis.

A quick internet search will yield a downloadable PDF of the 5R110W ATSG manual which will tell you a lot if you can comprehend it.

https shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/5R110W.pdf

if you add the missing parts after the https, the above will work. I won't link it directly since it's copyrighted material and technically shouldn't be available to download for free. You can also buy the manual online at many places.

·
Premium Member
11,727 Posts
In the shift from 3rd to 5th (4th is not used unless it's super cold), the intermediate clutch is released and the direct clutch is engaged, so if it's a solenoid issue, it's probably one of those.

Figure 2 on Page 4 of the manual shows the various clutch applications and diode settings for the various gear ratios. Figure 74 on page 51 shows the solenoid locations and function.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Page 8, Figure 6 shows the solenoid layout also

Looking at SSPC-D solenoid(direct), would be the oncoming clutch -- slow response here would seem as slipping like you describe
looks like the solenoids are the same -- so you could swap them and see if the problem moves

I read about the pressure switches(not used in this application) coming lose and causing problems -- something about a plug kit

Reactions: Red Ford

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, looks like I have a lot of reading and learning ahead of me haha.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
About the 6.4 pan and filter, check your local rebuilder. I got mine from a local trans rebuilder off of a core they had for $20 plus the cost of the filter. I also bought the toilet paper roll to replace the bypass filter but the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts