Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the transmission in my 97 7.3 F250 was having trouble shifting into over drive and was holding gears too long. I took it to the transmission shop and they rebuilt my trans and replaced all the worn out parts. I got it back when they were done and it seemed they had done nothing to it. I took it back and they had me pick it up after test driving it because it was throwing zero codes and they claimed it was an "engine performance" issue. So what it is doing is it gets into third gear and instead of locking in, it revs up some (near 2400rpm) then resumes to normal once I let off the throttle. In order for it to shift into overdrive I have to be going between 55-60 (my old shift point was 45) and will only engage into overdrive when I'm giving half throttle or more and no matter what speed I am doing above 55-60 , the minute I let off the throttle the slightest it downshifts and revs to over 2000 rpm. Any help is appreciated as to what it may be. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I'd double check all wiring and the gear selector on the trans. Verify every brake light is working, even the 3rd brake light.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Are you running led bulbs in any of the rear lights? People were experiencing shifting issues with LEDs in the rear lights. It seemed isolated to the pre 1999 7.3ls but common enough to ask etc. Swap them out with regular bulbs if you are running leds in the rear at least.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure if I have rear led bulbs. I haven't had to change them since I bought the truck two years ago and I forget what they are. I do believe all brake lights work but I will check that. The thing that I don't understand is why just recently did the transmission start acting up being that nothing has been changed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it possibly be an issue related to the throttle position sensor or the tach sensor or the vehicle speed sensor that does not throw a code?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts