Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a '96 F250 4X4 with a Zf 5 speed and 4:10 rear end. It sure is a head turner, take a look at my photos if you so desire. The truck is mostly driven as a daily driver with some light towing pulling my boat and grandpas antique tractors to shows.

I can get pretty consistent mpgs between 16-18 on the highway but would like to try and get better mileage and also be able to travel faster on the freeways. I'm the guy everyone gives the angry eye at as they pass me. I stick to 55 on the highway and 65 on the freeway.

So overall looking for an extra gear for better highway speeds and lower rpms. I looked into gear vendor overdrives but have heard that they don't hold up and are quite expensive. Are there any other alternatives?

Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
I've heard nothing bad bout gear vendor aside from the price, but you could always do a gear swap from 4:10-3:55 ratio, that should get you up where you want,

Welcome to the org, and I get that mileage consistantly same gears and higher speeds, I have an auto tho. If you haven't yet you should do some of the smaller mods, it will increase your mileage spool time, and possibly bow fast you feel like going lol. Good luck

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
3.73's seem to be a good tow/cruise gear. I can do 75 @ 2300 rpm. Thats with a ZF6 tho, not sure what the difference is in final gearing from the ZF5.

·
Registered
508 Posts
So i've been doing a ton of great vendors research, I think it looks like a sweet setup. I like the double od, but I tow heavy alot, (upwards of 30k sometimes) and lack the gears top stay rolling, I'd like to go 4.56's and a gv unit to split each gear up! But it is a3000 dollar unit, so I think if you're just lookin for double od mpgs I think you'll be disappointed based on what i've read you won't see more than 3-4 mpgs, it's take awhile to pay it off!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Did some figuring and it would take a minimum 4.5 years for the overdrive to pay for itself. Can't really justify that if it doesn't increase private or trade-in value by more than $1000.

Are there some obvious things to look for when purchasing rear ends? A certain year or series of say a 3:55 that holds up better?

I sure enjoy reading all the insightful info on this site. Kind of addicted now...my kind of social networking site. ha

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Just about any 85+ I would say, but to keep it simple 95+ with a 3:55 rear should be easy to find and work great for ya, good luck, BTW your rear is a sterling 10.25 Iirc, and if ya want something a lil heavier a dodge rear with a d80 or f superduty d80. But keep in mind as to what gear ratio it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts