Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I a missing something something? This is my first diesel and first Ford. I bought a new F350 Lariat 2018 about 6 weeks ago. It has occasionally seemed to have trouble shifting up but goes away. Today was first time pulling my 4 horse trailer with LQ. When coming to a stop the transmission was extremely slow in downshifting. Slow enough to have me worried. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts? Do I need to take it back to dealer to have it looked at. Only has about 1700 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any opinion.

·
Premium Member
11,671 Posts
Are you locking out the shifts in anyway using the +/- on the gear shifter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s the first thing I checked because I accidentally did that after about 2 weeks with the truck. So it’s something else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so on the 3 hour trip the transmission kept being slow to go up and really slow to downshift. Sounded really loud all the way and mpg went down to about 8. On the return trip last night after hooking up the trailer the vertical gear numbers on the dash disappeared and noise was back to normal. Upshifting was smooth as silk and only a mild hesitation on downshifting. Mpg went back up to about 10 with the same load. I’m glad it’s working normal again but can anyone explain to me what happened so it doesn’t go back?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
With the vertical numbers going away. It will do that if all 6 numbers are showing and you hit the + button on the shifter. I found that out the other day. When it’s blank if you hit the - they will come back. That’s the only help I have though

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a 2017 f250 platinum and it has 15k on it. It was shifting funny from 5 to 6 almost just spining. I brought it in to dealer and new transmission was put in. Now it does a heavy jolt down shifting from 2 to 1st and up shifting same. It also seems to be not shifting at right time, 35 mph still in 6th gear. Please help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes dealer has done all of the work..... I am worried about going and finding another place with warranty issues. I am in Albany ny and I have not heard of a real good trainy places in the area ether

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I just got a note on the FordPass app that there is a Field Service Alert issued for my 2019. The title says Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming. I haven't called the dealer yet and mine is shifting fine.

Edit: I just called the dealership and this has something to do with meeting emissions standards and nothing to do with shifting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.