Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 99 F-250 with the 7.3L in it and the transmission was starting to slip so i changed out the filter and fluid and ran the truck. It ran perfect for about 50 miles and then started acting up again. It runs just fine if the tranny is cool but as soon as it starts heating up it acts up in 2 gear. The tranny is heating up to around 100-125 degrees and i know thats not good. Does this sound like i need a rebuild and if so what is a good rebuild kit to buy?

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Well, they usually last a bit longer than that. I got 187k outa my stocker, and it was regularly abused. WOT shifts under load, downshifted instead of usin the brakes, etc...

But, you can get a custom trans for about the same as you can rebuild one. I'd recommend gettin ahold of BTS and seein what they can do for you. Or ATS. Or JW.

Suncoast doesn't even use their own rebuild kits. I'd stay away from them.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
You probably have a clutch disk or something in there comin apart. I'd try to get to a good shop.

Scuffy828 on here has a good shop somewhere in NC. Don't know where for sure though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.