Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sometimes using search does more harm then good. I'm still new to the 6.0 world and the 5speed automatic. I need to do a fluid change but I'm trying to figure out what to use. In searching I have found Mercron SP and LV but there are a ton of posts out there about LV destroying the trans. Some say Valvoline Max Life others say the trans will fall out as soon as you pour that stuff in :doh: So I'm looking for some good up to date information about what I should use. Aside from the ever Awesome Amsoil which is just not in the budget at this point.

Right now the only thing I'm sure of is that I want to change to the 08 pan and filter. I think that part number for the pan is 8C3Z-7A194-B otherwise I have no idea what fluid to buy or how much to give me a good change. Also do you guys use the same fluid in the T-Case as well? I like to change those together.

Sorry for stirring up what is sure to be a hornets nest but searching confused me more then anything else. There is such a thing as too much information.

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
I posted some info from the manufactures data sheet on the various oils, a while back but that thread kinda died -- Interested in the outcome of this one

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
A couple years ago, I ended up with Mercon SP in the trans and XL-12 in the transfer case. I'm sure it's changed by now.

Calling @voodooridr & @fordsvtparts for specs & part numbers.

-jokester

·
Registered
697 Posts
Oil debates never end well.......IMO run something name brand thats been around for a while. Call your local ford dealer. Whatever they recommend just put it.

Heres my 2 cents....most people start to have some weird shifts or what not. Then they say "oh i better do a trans fluid change". 5k miles later the trans implodes and they blame the oil when in reality they have a trans with 200k hard miles on it that was going to let go anyway.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,863 Posts
Both Mercon SP and LV are approved to use.

Lots of people have posted up about using Valvoline Max Life. I have yet to see a thread about having an issue with it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
After the stock 5r110 crapped out in the 4Fitty, i put in a built unit and used the LV....no issues, 40k mi since then with lots towing and hard use. Not abused, but worked like it was made to do....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
I'm closing in on 300K miles with Amsoil. No problems thus far. Fingers crossed for trans to keep going!

k

·
5,863 Posts
Fords service interval is 30k miles for the fluid (assuming "no abuse"). Stick with that and you shouldn't have any issues. Some install the '08 pan and filter for added reliability.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oil debates never end well.......IMO run something name brand thats been around for a while. Call your local ford dealer. Whatever they recommend just put it.

Heres my 2 cents....most people start to have some weird shifts or what not. Then they say "oh i better do a trans fluid change". 5k miles later the trans implodes and they blame the oil when in reality they have a trans with 200k hard miles on it that was going to let go anyway.
Please don't get me wrong. I'm not looking for another oil debate. I have read plenty of those. I'm kind of looking for a summary of the past debates and maybe any real data that has come out recently. Most of the debate threads I found were from a few years ago. I would love to hear that someone took their good running 05 with 200K on it and changed to LV or whatever and have put another 60, 80, or 100K on it since with no issues. I do get it that some people change the fluid in a questionable trans then blame the fluid when it dies. I'm trying to filter those out.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I took a perfectly good transmission and put Mercon SP in it and it's still a perfectly good transmission after 15k. Same with the transfer case - except I used XL-12.

-jokester

Reactions: voodooridr

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 06 that I changed out the oil pan/filter to the 08 one. I refilled with the Mercon SP because that's what Ford called for. Mercon LV was available to use but I decided to stick with the SP. I purchased a case (12 qts.) but seems to me I used 7 or 8 changing it over. I also replaced the smaller filter.

·
5,863 Posts
I would love to see some links to these "ton of threads" on LV being a problem. I am on a dozen 6.0L sites and don't see them.

Maybe on RV forums? Could you post a few of the links?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would love to see some links to these "ton of threads" on LV being a problem. I am on a dozen 6.0L sites and don't see them.

Maybe on RV forums? Could you post a few of the links?
Not to get to get too far off track digging up old threads but click here for an example of one of the threads I found. This one happens to be on this site. 22 pages of reading pain and debate. A google search on using Mercron LV in a 05 Powerstroke will bring up lots of others.

Again I'm not trying to start a war or debate here. I'm trying to filter and understand all of the information there seems to be on this topic. I just want to make the right choice. I do not want to make a mistake and cause damage to my trans. Also there is quite a cost difference in the 3 main fluids. So if it appears that all 3 are the same and fine then budget gets to decide. The SP seems to be the most expensive but if SP is what I need then that's what I will get. $250 is a lot of money for a full fluid (I understand 27qt is needed for a full flush) change but a hell of a lot cheaper then a trans rebuild.

·
5,863 Posts
That old link on this site was painful for sure. It really wasn't anyone saying the transmission will "be destroyed" if you use LV. That is what I haven't seen (claims from folks saying that LV destroyed their transmission). That old org thread was only one person arguing (and proved wrong) that Ford literature said not to use it. That has been settled for a long time. It is fine to use.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS722US722&sxsrf=ACYBGNTv4lpa6QiuhvLv_VL03_Z3cc1fRg:1568127093924&ei=dbh3Xev7N468tQXBk7DgBw&q=Mercon+LV+in+a+05+Powerstroke&oq=Mercon+LV+in+a+05+Powerstroke&gs_l=psy-ab.3..35i39.48261.48261..50686...0.2..0.72.72.1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.GsiZjqjdjlA&ved=0ahUKEwiripXTwMbkAhUOXq0KHcEJDHwQ4dUDCAs&uact=5]

·
5,863 Posts
Mercon LV is around $7 a quart
https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Mercon+LV

Mercon SP is around $9 a quart
https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Mercon+sp

If you flush w/ 27 quarts, it is a $54 decision. If you are more comfortable w/ SP, then $54 isn't a lot extra to spend in the overall scheme of things.

IIRC you get free shipping above $250 at dieselfiltersonline.
https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/shipping

Another source is Auto Nation White Bear Lake. The shipping might be high though.

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-oil-automatic-transmission-xt10qlvc?c=cT1YTC0xMi0=

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Ford says LV can be used AND mixed with SP, I personally will continue to use the SP simply because that's what my '04 came with and it's not been an issue for 128k miles
If SP ever becomes dinosaur juice then I'll flush and replace with LV
At one point Ford said DON'T MIX SP and LV but now they say go ahead and mix, I'll wait
XL-12 is definitely gone and replaced by LV, still don't think I'd mix though

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,068 Posts
Ford says LV can be used AND mixed with SP, I personally will continue to use the SP simply because that's what my '04 came with and it's not been an issue for 128k miles
If SP ever becomes dinosaur juice then I'll flush and replace with LV
At one point Ford said DON'T MIX SP and LV but now they say go ahead and mix, I'll wait
XL-12 is definitely gone and replaced by LV, still don't think I'd mix though

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Good thing they don't make it confusing LOL.

I bet you could even use Mercon V in these particular transfer cases, but don't quote me on that.

·
5,863 Posts
Good thing they don't make it confusing LOL.

I bet you could even use Mercon V in these particular transfer cases, but don't quote me on that.
Quick question Mike -

Why are you no longer selling SP?

·
5,863 Posts
Code:
I found Motorcraft LV at RockAuto for $4.25 qt. if you wanted to go with that instead of SP.
Good find. SP is only $6.42 there.

Shipping can easily add another $1 per quart for a large quantity, so don't forget to factor that in!

So for 27 quarts of LV it will be around $140 or $150. The SP would be around $200.

Reactions: fordsvtparts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts