Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as the question above states and i have had no luck with a search. I now have 30,000 on my 08 f350 6.4 diesel and time to change the transmission fluid. How hard is this to do? is there a drain plug on the torque converter? any help you can give would be great. Thank you in Advance. :thumb:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well I guess I can only speak from expirence with my Job 2 which has the internal filter. No, it's not a hard job to do and there is no more drain plug on the converter. Simply pull the drain plug, pull the pan down (has reusable gasket), pull the filter off and replace (make sure to get the old o-ring out too!), reinstall pan, and refill. Taking your time, it's only about an hour job. Now if you have the Job 1 with the external filter I dont know anything about that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, i have a job 2 with the internal filter. Any other sugestions on flushing out the torque converter? i would like to flush all the old fluid out of the system. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
As far as I know there is no way to flush the torque converter unless you drop the tranny and take it out. If you drain the pan and change the filter you should be good to go.

·
Registered
250 Posts
BG flush machine worked for me contact a local quick lube type place and ask how much a BG tranny flush is.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What if i was to remove the transmission cooler line and start the truck, would that remove the fluid from the TC if i was to start pouring in fresh ATF? I think i will call the local quick lube to see what they charge. But they may not be any cheaper than what Ford want's to do it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
What if i was to remove the transmission cooler line and start the truck, would that remove the fluid from the TC if i was to start pouring in fresh ATF? I think i will call the local quick lube to see what they charge. But they may not be any cheaper than what Ford want's to do it.
No, at idle the tranz will not push the fluid out, that's what's good about the BG machine. It will push and circulate the fluid and the cleaner/conditioer they use, thru the tranny. Call around every place is cheaper than :icon_ford:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, at idle the tranz will not push the fluid out, that's what's good about the BG machine. It will push and circulate the fluid and the cleaner/conditioer they use, thru the tranny. Call around every place is cheaper than :icon_ford:
Ok, Thanks. I will call around:thumb:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tranny will hold 19.1 quarts if you do a complete flush and fill. its best to take it to the dealer or someone who has a flush machine. You need to use mercon SP.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The tranny will hold 19.1 quarts if you do a complete flush and fill. its best to take it to the dealer or someone who has a flush machine. You need to use mercon SP.
I just called my local dealer and the guy at the service dept told me that for a flush and fill it was $160....i'm betting he was wrong, wrong, wrong!

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I just called my local dealer and the guy at the service dept told me that for a flush and fill it was $160....i'm betting he was wrong, wrong, wrong!
So I went to my local dealer (with the intent on just buying the SP Or SV) and got a quote...... The quote was for a passenger car. LOL!

They did my entire flush and fill for like 100. lol

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
how much fluid does it hold if you just drop the pan?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It depends on if you buy and take your own oil with you. I took my oil and filter with me and it was $110.00. All said and done that sounds about right.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It depends on if you buy and take your own oil with you. I took my oil and filter with me and it was $110.00. All said and done that sounds about right.
19 quarts of fluid @ $6.82/qt=$129.58

Tranny filter was priced at $76.67

Parts alone are running $206.25

Got to be wrong!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The deal to “change / flush out” the torque converter, when warm is the drain and change the internal filter.
Then fill with 8 – 9 quarts.
Remove the return line from the cooler.
With a 5 gallon bucket start motor and pump into it about 6 – 7 quarts turning off the motor.
Reconnect the line and refill the tyranny to the correct level.
The total is about 15 quarts, so if you use 15 – 16 total did good.
Caution do not pump the 8 – 9 you put in at the first and do not over fill after the 2nd step.
There is a cold and warm marking on the dip stick.
I try to make mine hit the max when cold and find it falls mid point when warmed up to nominal operating temps’.
Some suppliers on this site and others offer a “kit” that has an fittings and other required parts to hook up a neat way to flush out the old oil from the TQ and / or an tranny remote external filter.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=762

BD-Power In-Line Transmission Filter Kit #1064013

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/94349-trans-flush-worth-doing.html

·
Registered
221 Posts
19 quarts of fluid @ $6.82/qt=$129.58

Tranny filter was priced at $76.67

Parts alone are running $206.25

Got to be wrong!
Thats what I was thinking best price I could find was $219 and the other places were $319.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just did my own Job 1 tranny service. Ford now recomments Mercon LV over the SP.
External filter was expensive. I measured 9 quarts removed, so replaced exactly that. But heated shop w/ pit really helps:))

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
i dont have the same trans but what i do is pull a cooler line, run some old fluid out, but some fresh in, and voila you replace it all eventually. used a whole 5gal jug of md3(chevron stuff ha) love it..
just saying..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts