Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need some help with my truck.

I have a 2017 F350 (65K) with a 6.7L (diesel) in it. It has a stuff done and a *** tune VIA Ezlynk. I deleted it for longevity, not power. A month ago, at highway speeds in sixth gear my truck would drop a gear and allow me only gears 1-5. I pulled over, turned off the truck, turned it back on and got back up to highway speeds again. This happed intermittently for the next few days, so I took it to my trusted diesel shop. They recommended we start with a transmission fluid change (was due anyway). Changed the fluid, got back on the road and it happened again, this time the truck was stuck in fifth gear. 0 mph to 80 the truck was stuck in 5th gear.

I took the truck back to the shop and left it there for them to investigate. They said the trucks batteries were shot (confirmed by me) and they needed to be replaced as well as the truck showed the code P0702 (TCM -TRANS CTRL SYS ELECTRICAL). They said they would advise replacing the TCM (Transmission Control Module). Received a new TCM and the shop put it in. Now the fun begins. I tried to re flash/tune the truck using tune I purchased about a year earlier, but I quickly realized that the support for the tune had expired and I didn’t have access to it again through Ezlynk. I called * and they informed me that they didn’t support non emissions compliant trucks anymore and wouldn’t give me the file I originally purchased. I bought a tune pack from that would tune non emissions compliant vehicles. I bought the tune (which came with the stock file as well) and the lifetime support. Once the new TCM was in, I flashed the truck with the tune. The truck is now stuck in third gear and throwing the code P163F (Transmission ID Block Corrupted, Not Programed) The shop thought that it might be because I flashed the new TCM with an aftermarket tune (engine and trans) that it didn’t fix the problem. According to the shop, the TCM’s are VIN specific and not programable through IDS. The shop ordered a new TCM and retuned the old one under warranty. Once the new TCM was installed, I flashed the truck to stock engine/trans tune, then flashed the truck with the engine/trans tune. Truck still shows the same code P163F (Transmission ID Block Corrupted, Not Programed). The shop has hooked their Ford IDS software up to my truck and has problems communicating with the PCM/TCM. Shop says the next step is a new PCM and another TCM.

Sorry for this being a long post. I’m trying to be as detailed as possible hoping someone can help. The shop has been very helpful, and I trust they’re not giving me the run around (ive been there to witness most of this). *** hasn’t been much help. I’m already $1,900 into my truck as well as $900 into a rental car for a month.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
10,121 Posts
just as a heads up I cleared all tuner names, because well never ending restrictions coming down just to ensure it doesn't screw anyone over as well as moving this to the 6.7 section

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
What tunes are you trying to push to the new TCM? Is it your old delete tune? Is it a new emission tune? I'm no tech guy but it sounds to me like you may have a corrupted TCM file in these tunes and that it just keeps bricking every TCM you plug into. Again the tech stuff is a little out of my depth but it sure seems to me like you may have a corrupted file.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What tunes are you trying to push to the new TCM? Is it your old delete tune? Is it a new emission tune? I'm no tech guy but it sounds to me like you may have a corrupted TCM file in these tunes and that it just keeps bricking every TCM you plug into. Again the tech stuff is a little out of my depth but it sure seems to me like you may have a corrupted file.
I'm trying to push new tunes for the engine and trans (they come together). The new tuner says there is nothing wrong with their file. It's not a race truck, just a daily driver/tower. No hot tunes.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yes I'm aware how the tunes work when loading them. That still doesn't mean that something isn't corrupted in the trans file (which while having to be wrote into the same tune is still a seperate file for a seperate module). Again I'm saying that tech stuff is out of my depth a bit I am referring to the computer files and the ones and zeroes involved. Not the process for loading the tunes. Considering you have tried to load those tunes twice to two seperate TCMs I'm just looking at the common denominator i.e, the tune or guy loading the tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I'm aware how the tunes work when loading them. That still doesn't mean that something isn't corrupted in the trans file (which while having to be wrote into the same tune is still a seperate file for a seperate module). Again I'm saying that tech stuff is out of my depth a bit I am referring to the computer files and the ones and zeroes involved. Not the process for loading the tunes. Considering you have tried to load those tunes twice to two seperate TCMs I'm just looking at the common denominator i.e, the tune or guy loading the tune.
I appreciate the response. Ive tried loading the tune on two different TCM's, same error on both. Also when I tune the truck back to stock.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Lots of folks have bad TCM tunes/ issues. Seems like an afterthought in many cases. Can you load just the PCM tune and leave TCM stock?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lots of folks have bad TCM tunes/ issues. Seems like an afterthought in many cases. Can you load just the PCM tune and leave TCM stock?
Unfortunately no. When you use an after market tune, it comes with a transmission tune as well (from what I understand).

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Have you gotten the tuner to address this situation yet? They are the first place to start. Have them get you a new tune or if they won't do what's right cut your losses and try a different tuner that is willing to actually help you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you gotten the tuner to address this situation yet? They are the first place to start. Have them get you a new tune or if they won't do what's right cut your losses and try a different tuner that is willing to actually help you.
I have multiple calls and emails into the tuner, unfortunately they suck at communicating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is the latest update from the shop working on my truck,

"Found no communication to TCM and diag tree recommends replacing the TCM, if problem persists then replace the PCM. Replaced TCM twice, no resolve. TCMs are confirmed to be pre programmed and just need to be run through IDS to recognize the new unit. Installed new factory ford PCM ordered by VIN number and tried to run the factory programming through IDS, still no communication to TCM. Was able to run a check through IDS that verifies proper power and ground in and out of TCM. Called ford and verified they have a “new” version of IDS and brought their IDS and tried the process once again. Still same result. No communication to TCM and no ability to get past this step in IDS. Switch both new and old TCMs and PCMs and tried to relearn IDS with all four configurations. Still no resolve."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.