Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started to notice spots in the driveway so I looked under the truck and noticed red ATF leaking from the transfercase. It looks like it is coming from the top fill plug then runs down past the bottom plug and drips down. I tried tightening the top plug and it never really tightens up. It threads in and out fine but does not tighten. Is that plug supposed to tighten up or just thread in?

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, thats what I was thinking. I will try to find some teflon tape in the garage.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Somebody over tighten and pulled the threads out of the casing. The tape may be a temp fix, as I believe the ATF will eat the teflon tape, but you may get lucky. Why not fix it right? You can get a thread repair kit online and it takes 10 min to install. A TC can run $1500 to rebuild, not something I want to trust to a $.99 roll of plumbers tape.
Good Luck

NCH

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Somebody over tighten and pulled the threads out of the casing. The tape may be a temp fix, as I believe the ATF will eat the teflon tape, but you may get lucky. Why not fix it right? You can get a thread repair kit online and it takes 10 min to install. A TC can run $1500 to rebuild, not something I want to trust to a $.99 roll of plumbers tape.
Good Luck

NCH
what kind of kit would you suggest?

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
A thread repair kit, it will contain a drill bit, tap and the helicoil for the new threads. You can redo it in the same thread size you have now. Any decent auto parts store will have them on the shelf or can surely get it very quick. Take the plug in with you so they get the right size.

NCH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts