Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of assistance. I am planning on having my transmission rebuilt (4R100), and I figured while it was out I would rebuild the transfer case. Not relying on my basic wrenching skills for the transmission (I will pay to have this done, better warranty coverage), but I figured I could rebuild the transfer case. Is there a step by step process for this, or just start removing hardware and replacing the bearings and seals? Any help is always appreciated, there are some terrific resources here and just reading some of the threads has made me a better 7.3L owner.

2000 F250 mostly stock
4R100 transmission
Electronic 4WD

·
Premium Member
8,475 Posts
It depends on what kind of a "rebuild" you're going to do...

They are very, very, simple inside. If what you want to do is to have a look, maybe replace the forks, chain, even a gear or two, you don't need any special tools or knowledge.

BUT, if you are going to truly rebuild the whole thing and change all the seals & bearings, you should invest in the special Ford tool kit for doing this. It's not as bad as it seems, there have been so many dealerships gone "belly-up" you can find these kits for @$100 and, when you're done, sell it to the next guy who needs it (I did this not long ago and actually still have one of these to sell :wink[3]:)

Here's what it looks like, but again, you only really need this if you're doing a complete tear-down...

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the best course of action to take is to open it up and see what it needs. Any recommendation for where I should purchase the kit or parts? If I decide to to a complete rebuild, I will talk to you about the special tool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts