Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 by 4 light flashing. Truck would not move (assumed transfer in neutral) . Installed new shift motor. Truck works fine, however when going over a steep incline the 4 by 4 light starts flashing. The truck stays in gear. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
32,120 Posts
Explain truck would not move ? put in drive revs up but not move ?

Your t case has no selectable neutral function and for the 4x4 light to flash should indicate a readable code

but it sounds like something is not right inside the t case and the tranny may be going or trying to go into 4x4 but hubs unlocked so it was unnoticeable

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put the transmission in any gear and the truck would not move. Removed the transfer case shifting motor and manually put the transfer case in gear. Drove the truck in all modes ( 2 wheel, 4 low and high ) no apparent problems. Installed the new motor and the truck shifts and drives in all modes ( verified front axle engaging ). The mode light only flashes when going down a steep incline.

·
Registered
2008 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson 6.4 Dynamic Diesel stage 1 kit, ODD Intake, and way more. 💨
1,539 Posts
Are you coding for anything? Do you have a good scan tool? If not I’d bring it in and see if it’s coding for anything. Sounds electrical
Your problem could stem from something as simple as a vacuum leak to a major failure within the transfer case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Ford F-250 Harley Davidson 6.4 Dynamic Diesel stage 1 kit, ODD Intake, and way more. 💨
1,539 Posts
Only thing that would make sense for a decline or incline for that matter is fluid. But there is no level sensor for the transfer case so that rules that out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you coding for anything? Do you have a good scan tool? If not I’d bring it in and see if it’s coding for anything. Sounds electrical
Your problem could stem from something as simple as a vacuum leak to a major failure within the transfer case.

Thanks. In a remote location so haven’t scanned yet. Will ASAP. Thinking electrical also.

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
Check the harness for the T-case and the connectors on the driver side fender well

ForScan would my choice of scanner tool

Reactions: Roccafellas

·
Premium Member
10,348 Posts
If you take the truck on trails it could have been a stick that caught a wire and loosened the pin connection on the connectors. Had it happen where hit a bump and things got wiered but no bumps all gravy. Found a wire was stretched just enough on one pin of a connector and it would jiggle loose on bumps. May be work checking the wire connector for the t-case more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you take the truck on trails it could have been a stick that caught a wire and loosened the pin connection on the connectors. Had it happen where hit a bump and things got wiered but no bumps all gravy. Found a wire was stretched just enough on one pin of a connector and it would jiggle loose on bumps. May be work checking the wire connector for the t-case more.
Thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts