Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is changing the fluid in a t case like a transmission in how in a transmission, if it hasnt been changed before, don't do it? Because im not sure if the t case fluid has ever been changed and i want to do it. Same with the differentials. Are they that way too?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
just maintenance them.

the t case is overlooked, mine was nasty when i changed it , the PO never did it id say.
did it 30k miles ago, then just flushed it again the other day, fluid looked clean and no metal flakes or anything unusual.

2 quarts of atf.
pull the top plug then the bottom plug. my top plug was stripped out, and i had already drained it...fun
easiest maintenance on the whole truck

rear diff takes 75w-140 full synthetic with limited slip additive in the gear oil or add it if it doesnt come with it.

if you reuse the stock diff cover, clean the rust off and paint it. the stock cover rusts through fairly easy.

i just resealed with RTV silicone.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after 206,000 my t case should still work if it hasnt been done before? Also what kind RTV did you use?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
ya i wouldnt be afraid to flush it.
make sure you put some anti seize on the plugs when you put them back in.

i had a helluva time getting mine out the first time.

its a 10mm allen head for the drain plug and fill plug on the t case.

in the manual it states you never need to change the trans case fluid, which is just plain stupid.
unless you operate under extreme circumstances all the time.

i cant remember what type of rtv i used.
just used high temp rtv rated for the job, picked it off the wall at napa lol.
its been awhile since i did it, so i cant really remember.

and you are going to maintenance the front diff too? front takes 75w-90. can use non synthetic up front. dont need limited slip additive either.

Reactions: Joe0816

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the front diff take the same as the rear?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
no they arent the same.

rear takes 75w-140 full synethic.

front takes 75w-90 and it does not require synthetic or limited slip additive.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Alright thanks! Any preferable brand or just whatever the parts store has? Also, do you need the flexable funnel to fill it up like the powerstroke help guy says?

·
Registered
330 Posts
The Chiltons manual I have says to change the transfer case oil every 60,000 miles, which I change more often. It also says to change the differential oil every 30,000 miles which I change less often.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just like oil, I changed mine every 3000 miles until I realized it was un necessary and I was wasting my money... I do it like Ford says every 5000. I just wish someone actually did everything maintenance wise and marked it in the owners manual so I would know what they actually did.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know how much fluid the differentials take?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
i just used valvoline from napa. limited slip additive was already in the synthetic gear oil.

most of the time people dont do maintenance anyways lol so thats why they dont keep/have receipts lol

its been so long since i did it im gonna guess between 3-4 quarts for the rear.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome thanks guys! FYI I got a el cheapo pump that screws to the top of an ATF container from Oreillys brand Performance Tool, and I was giving it a quick test so I know it wouldn't fail with an empty transfer case, and it is a POS! However, I took it back and they had a thing there from Performance Tool, almost like a grease gun, and it passed my test. So, looks like tomorrow I will be doing a t case fluid change, a defoiled mod, and if I still have time, rotors.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I went ahead and did the tcase fluid change, and it was black as oil. The plug I was told is a PITA to get out but mine wasn't that bad, put in an allen key tapped with a hammer. Also did the defoiled mod, and if I wasn't expecting anything, I wouldn't have noticed a sound difference.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
at least you know its clean now! my tcase was the same, probably never been done.

you will hear more whistle with a gen1 wicked wheel or one of the newer billet wheels.

my riffraff billet wheel is obnoxiously loud at times

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I was told that with that sound insulation off, you would hear it more in the cab, too. I'm not complaining, because when I paint the pipes, it will look good.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
ya you hear more at WOT. but dont hear much just normal driving.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just ordered the fluids for the rear end off ebay. The cheapest I found was on ebay for Amsoil synthetic for 11.99 a quart, and I found some of the motorcraft limited slip additive (4oz) for 10.15 shipped. Now im just nervous that when I open it up, Ill notice that its time to do some rear end work...

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
i guess you wont know until you open it up lol

when i did mine i had some gold flakes which isnt good. i pulled the cover about 5k miles after i did the change looked at everything and it was fine, no flakes in the gear oil at all. im sure it probably had been done maybe once in the trucks life...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the last guy who had my truck was a biker guy who I feel like never maintained it very well other than oil and he had the truck for a good chunk of the miles... I guess I just hope the guy before him did it!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
im more anal about my quad than my truck haha

ya some people dont know what maintenance is lol
and that was a pretty good price on the amsoil too where did you buy it at?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts