Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 F-350 long box. I was pulling my 27ft camp trailer this weekend and noticed from take off to second gear the trans shutters pretty good. Does anyones else do this?

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Well, no, but it might help to know a little more about your truck and trailer (approximate weight). Is your truck factory stock, or does it have any modifications? Mileage? Past use or abuse?

Mine shudders a bit some times too, but it is usually when at wide open throttle shifting to 4th gear while putting out somewhere around 540 HP and 1050 ft-lb of torque. So I can't blame the transmission for that.. If some one twisted me that hard, I might shake a little too.

BTW, :ORG welcome:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THE TRUCK IS STOCK WITH 32,000 MILES NO ABUSE. TRAILER WEIGHT IS 7300LBS. IT EVEN DID IT ONCE WITH A YARD OF ROCK IN THE BED.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My 08 does this with a boat on the back. Does it when I axcel a little hard. Not so much out of the hole but more in second or third gear. The kind of axcel you do when your in traffic for example and you need to get going a little quick. I figure on asking Ford about it when it needs to go in sometime. Doesn't seem right. My boat loaded heavy is under 5 K.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Mine does it to its hard to explain ive taken it to the dealer they updated the software or something it doesnt do it as often now

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
There's a TSB regarding shimming of the rear axle to set the pinion angle. You may need to compromise. You may rid yourself of the shuddering while towing, but it may create a shudder while unloaded.

The truck is not overloaded? Not too much weight on the truck?

·
Registered
28 Posts
My '08 shudders from a dead stop when pulling a heavy load- has done it since new. It would bother me, but my 2000 did the exact same thing the whole 8 years I owned it. I'm sure it's a spring wrap-up thing, putting the rear u-joint at a bad angle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's axel wrap, you can get traction bars to fix the problem, or you can just leave it.

Rene

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine has a shudder as well 1st Ford dealer said tires, so I had them rebalanced, didn't fix it. 2nd dealer said TC, it starts around 50mph and comes and goes but gets more intense the higher the speed also did it in reverse the other day. Goes in on Friday to the 1st dealer for tranny flush/fluid change 49000 km on truck. 2nd dealer said no warranty because of mods. Guess I had better start looking for a suncoast dealer in Canada, only thing is do I do a complete rebuild or just change the TC? What are your Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Regarding your tranny question: I'd suggest a full Suncoast overhaul if your running the 310 tune. Converter,Superduty kit,Billet input and intermediate shafts,Low/Rev Drum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2009 F-450 4x4 with 22,000 miles on it completely stock (except for the Banks DPF back “monster” exhaust and Banks cold air intake). Last night as I was driving on the highway for about 40 minutes doing 55 MPH when I punched the accelerator to pass a vehicle and the truck began to shutter, the tachometer was at 3000 RPMs and the truck didn’t gain any speed. I immediately let off the accelerator and the shutter went away. A few hours later, I was again traveling on the highway doing about 50 MPH and punched the accelerator to pass a vehicle and again the truck began to shutter, the tachometer was at 3000 RPMs and the truck didn’t gain any speed. I didn’t let off the accelerator this time and the truck continued to shutter for about 15 seconds before the RPMs dropped to about 2000 and the shutter went away and the truck picked up speed. Just after that, going up a bridge doing about 55 MPH, I punched the accelerator but this time the transmission didn’t downshift but the turbo boost gauge pegged out and the truck very slowly gained only 5 MPH after about 20 seconds. I was able to replicate the shutter issue this morning on my way to work under hard acceleration from a stop. I think this is a transmission issue but any help with this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well as it turns out it was the tires and not the tranny, one of the rear rims was tweaked just enough that with stock rubber drove and road just fine but with the bigger rubber on them the vibration/shudder exposed itself, luckey me!!! So for now I got the stock rubber back on it and it rides like new again until I figure out what Im gonna do with the rims.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a two inch lift and 35" tires on my 4x4 it shudders on 1-2 shift and alittle on 2-3, I bought the truck used and not sure if it did it when it was stock. I can not see a 2" lift causing axle rap. I guess it could, if so is there a fix for this?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a 2009 F-450 4x4 with 22,000 miles on it completely stock (except for the Banks DPF back “monster” exhaust and Banks cold air intake). Last night as I was driving on the highway for about 40 minutes doing 55 MPH when I punched the accelerator to pass a vehicle and the truck began to shutter, the tachometer was at 3000 RPMs and the truck didn’t gain any speed. I immediately let off the accelerator and the shutter went away. A few hours later, I was again traveling on the highway doing about 50 MPH and punched the accelerator to pass a vehicle and again the truck began to shutter, the tachometer was at 3000 RPMs and the truck didn’t gain any speed. I didn’t let off the accelerator this time and the truck continued to shutter for about 15 seconds before the RPMs dropped to about 2000 and the shutter went away and the truck picked up speed. Just after that, going up a bridge doing about 55 MPH, I punched the accelerator but this time the transmission didn’t downshift but the turbo boost gauge pegged out and the truck very slowly gained only 5 MPH after about 20 seconds. I was able to replicate the shutter issue this morning on my way to work under hard acceleration from a stop. I think this is a transmission issue but any help with this would be appreciated.
I've experienced this same shudder. It doesn't seem to be axle wrap as others are describing. Our issue seems to be tied into the transmission. Did you ever get any resolution tho this issue?

I've had it off and on for a while and just this morning I found brownish grime while checking my transmission fluid :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts